Chapter 39: Steven's Birthday

The Crystal Gems are preparing decorations for Steven's birthday. Amethyst is blowing balloons, Pearl is making a ribbon bow, and Steven is helping Garnet make a banner.

"I can't believe it's finally my birthday. You're sure it's okay we're taking a break from the drill?" Steven asked.

"Peridot will keep us on schedule." Pearl reassured with a smile.

"Yo, Peri! You sure you don't want to get in on this?" Amethyst asked.

Amethyst blows up a balloon that looks like Peridot and it pops. Peridot glares, puts on her welding goggles, and disappeared around the corner of the barn.

"We should celebrate our progress. We should celebrate your progress. You've grown a lot this year." Garnet smiled.

"He certainly has." Pearl told, proud of Steven.

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess so!" Steven nodded with a smile, happy with his progress.

A van horn sounds, alerting everyone as Greg's van parked near the barn. The back door soon opened, revealing Connie to be in a red dress, and holding a suitcase. Not long after, Y/n climbs out as well, holding a rather large box, wrapped in wrapping paper.

"Connie! Y/n!" Steven cheered as he ran over to the two.

"Happy Birthday!" Connie said as she ran up and hugged Steven.

"Yeah, happy birthday dude!" Y/n smiled.

"Thanks. Welcome to the party! May I offer you... a refreshment?" Steven told, pulling out two juice boxes from behind his back.

Oh, Steven. How genteel!" Connie giggled.

"Clink!" Steven said with a smile as the two clinked the juice boxes together.

"Where should I put this?" Y/n asked, holding up the box.

"Wow! It's massive!" Steven commented with stars in his eyes, but soon shook his head. "You can put it on the table over there, where the gems are."

"Will do." Y/n smiled, walking over to the table as the gems stood arounds, talking to each other. "Hey guys."

"Oh! Y/n!" Pearl said surprised. "I'm glad you could make it!"

"Yeah, and you brought a huge gift for the birthday boy." Amethyst chuckled.

"What is it?" Garnet asked, stepping closer.

Y/n looked behind him to make sure that Steven wasn't listening. "Well, I made it a few weeks ago now ... It's a drone that he can fly." Y/n told, placing the box on the table.

"I'm sure Steven will love that!" Pearl smiled.

"I hope so, I made it to scout out Beach City and stuff, but I don't really need it anymore." Y/n told, stretching his back. "So what's the plan for today?"

"Par-tay!" Amethyst cheered, throwing her fists in the air.

"Nice, but you sure it's okay to take a break from the drill?" Y/n asked, having the same concern as Steven.

"Yes." Garnet nodded. "Peridot agreed to keep us on track while we celebrate Steven's birthday."

"I'll check up on her, where is she?" Y/n said, wanting to she if she was alright.

"She's behind the barn." Amethyst told, jerking her thumb in the direction.

"Thanks." Y/n smiled. "Back in a sec."

Y/n was quick to leave the area to walk around the barn, noticing the much-needed repairs. Either way, Y/n walked around the barn, and came to a stop when he saw Peridot working on the drill.