A̶l̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶T̶o̶d̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶H̶e̶n̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶-̶ ̶B̶o̶

Is this how he felt?

Powerless?

Right in front of me and I still don't have him.

Bokuto had his hands in his black and blue bomber jacket pockets. He was wearing a pair of dark blue jeans and slippers that were given to him by one of the nurses so he wouldn't dirty the floor. The small room had a white plastic chair which he sat on since his calves were aching.

Bokuto bounced his knee anxiously while staring at the bed before him.

A month now.

He had been coming here every day for a month.

"I went for a run again," he started in a soft voice. It was always strange, talking to no one.

"It's still pretty cold out but the snow is starting to melt," he declared with a bit of a smile. "Sometimes I miss our old house though, being so close to the beach and all," he admitted. Bokuto ran his fingers through his stiff hair.

"I don't have much of a story today. Akaashi is still afraid of me." His laugh was void of humor. "But I guess I deserve that."

He moved his hands out of his pockets and placed them under the chair. He gripped the seat and waddled closer to the bedside before he set the chair back down.

Oh, right.

That's what went through his head.

He was talking to Kuroo.

Kuroo, who couldn't hear a single word he was saying.

Bokuto picked at his fingernail and stared at his hands.

"Mm—I'm sorry, again. It's my fault this happened, huh?" Bokuto murmured.

"They said you should have woken up by now," Bokuto continued, taking a deep breath and smiling weakly. "So stop taking your time already. You made your point. So come back now," he ordered. Bokuto hung his head.

"Please," he begged with a breaking voice.

He placed his hands on the bed, far too anxious to actually touch Kuroo.

"What else do you want me to say?" Bokuto asked with wet eyes. "Just get up. Get up. Please."

Bokuto buried his face in his hands.

"It's so hard. I don't know how to take care of Kenma and Keiji—how did you do it?" Bokuto inquired with a weak voice. "I can't figure it out." Bokuto balled his hand into a fist.

"It's hard—so fucking hard. Tell me what to do." Bokuto stared at Kuroo's closed eyes.

He bit down on his bottom lip.

"I know, people hate it when I talk. I talk too much," he muttered. He leaned back in his chair and closed his own eyes.

~

His body was shaking.

No, someone was shaking him.

Bokuto groaned softly and opened his eyes, squinting from the bright lights.

"Excuse me, sir? We need you to vacate immediately," a female nurse commanded.

"Wha's happenin'?" Bokuto slurred, only half awake.

Several nurses were scrambling around the room, all crowding the bed.

Bokuto felt someone pull him up by the arm and lead him out of the room.

"Wait-it's still visiting hours—" he protested.

But he trailed off and froze when he glanced at the bed.