Days Of Past (Pt. 2)

A little over a month.

Kenma hadn't seen nor spoke to Kuroo in over a month.

Not that he tried.

The last thing he wanted to do was burden his childhood best friend and ex lover.

Perhaps ex childhood best friend now, if that was how things worked.

What had happened during that past month?

Oh, right.

Nekoma had started training for nationals.

Kenma had given up his position of leadership to Yamamoto, who had surprisingly matured since his first two years of high school.

Besides, Kenma never believed he was good enough to be captain.

What else?

Oh, Karasuno came over to the city several times for practice matches. Kenma got to see plenty of their power duo, Kageyama and Hinata. However, there was no Kiyoko to spark fights between the other bald third year of Karasuno, Tanaka.

Ah, right.

Karasuno's second year and resident asshole, Tsukishima Kei, was Kuroo's new boyfriend.

~

"Kenma!" Yamamoto called out, snapping the third year out of his daze. Kenma glanced up at Yamamoto, pulling his knees to his chest.

"Come on, man. You haven't eaten properly in weeks." He sat next to Kenma and exhaled before handing the boy a sandwich wrapped in plastic.

Kenma stared at the food but didn't take.

"Come on," Yamamoto repeated, wigging the food in front of Kenma's face. Kenma sighed, taking the food and setting it down on his other side.

Yamamoto leaned back on his hands and looked up at the sky.

The two were sitting at the curb outside of Kenma's house. Summer was ending but the weather was still pleasant.

The sun poke out from behind the clouds and the thin trees dotting the blocks casted soft shadows on the concrete.

Kenma was wearing his Nekoma sweater and some sweatpants which hid his slim frame.

Yamamoto, like most weirdos, was wearing only one color. Red. A T-shirt, shorts, and his feet were bare as they rested on the ground.

He gently nudged Kenma's shoulder with his elbow.

"Eat," he encouraged. Kenma stared at the sandwich. "Shoyo's been worried about you. At least, so Tanaka claims. You still haven't told him anything?" Yamamoto questioned.

Kenma gripped his shoulder and his nose brushed against his forearm.

"How can I tell him? Nobody knew about me and Kuro—" Kenma choked on the name. "Kuroo.. and if I tell him now I'll just look pathetic. Besides, how can I confide in someone who's a whole year younger than me," Kenma mumbled.

"I thought you didn't care about that kind of thing," Yamamoto said.

"Shoyo doesn't need my problems bothering him. It'll make him worry about things that haven't even happened to him. I can tell you because it won't bother you."

"But it does," Yamamoto declared. Kenma looked up at the new captain. Yamamoto seemed upset.

"You know I wanted to be captain. You became captain because you found a way to lift up your teammates and boost our confidence, even though you weren't trying. And now, I'm captain because you're so depressed you might not even get to play for nationals this year."