17

| chapter seventeen | you are so cruel

you are so cruel..
« why do we fall in love so easy,
even when it's not right? »

"It must be Jeno," Renjun let out an awkward chuckle as he got up from the bed and walked out of the room. He scolded himself for nearly kissing her even after she had set a line between their relationship.

Shrugging the thoughts off, he dragged in a deep breath and forced it out to compose himself. He reached for the doorknob and was met with an unexpected visitor.

"Archangel Lee."

"Angel Huang Renjun."

He knew. They all knew.

"Come with me," The Archangel's voice was stern and demanding, and Renjun had no other choice but to obey.

He looked back once, hoping she hadn't seen. He knew her. In the time that they spent together, he got to know more about her than he knows about himself. And he knew that if she had seen him get taken away, she would blame herself.

Quietly, Renjun followed his senior. He nibbled nervously on his bottom lip worrying for the demon he left behind. He hoped for her wellbeing rather than his own.

Entering the gates of Heaven, the Archangel came to a stop. Renjun stopped a few feet behind him, staring at the white footing.

"I am sure that you are aware of the reason for your bringing back to Heaven," The Archangel began causing the timid younger to stiffen in his place. "You have got a distraction. And distractions are not good. Correct?"

The Angel nodded, "Correct, Archangel Lee."

"Very well, then, you must cut ties with that distraction immediately," He demanded.

"Archangel Lee, I do not want to," Renjun found his voice, he looked directly at his senior. "She isn't a distraction. She actually has made me happier. The word humans use; love. I didn't know it was possible for an Angel to feel anything but with her I think I do feel it. I feel love."

"Foolish!" The Archangel raised his voice, "It's an infatuation, Huang Renjun. Not love. You can not love anyone else. You are an Angel. You are devoted to the Deity, and Him only."

"But that's not fair. I didn't ask to be born an Angel, and she didn't ask to be treated that way by Him either," Renjun argued. He had no idea where all this confidence and aggression came from, but he did know that he wanted to protect her.

"Do you know what you're saying?" Archangel Lee fretted, "You are going against every moral you were taught here. The very first rule, you are going to break it."

Rule #1: You must remain loyal to Heaven.

"I will not. I can be friends with a demon and still keep my faith in Heaven," The angel assured. "Nothing will change, I'm still an Angel."

"The ruler of the Demons, Satan. He was an angel once, too," he said, "You will never be just friends with her. I can read your thoughts. On the way here, you only thought about her. You did not think about The Deity, not once."

Renjun didn't know what to say. He was right, of course he was. He was always right.

"Is it really so wrong?" The angel sighed in defeat, "Why did He put her in my path? Why did I have to meet her and feel all these things with her?"

"I am not sure."

"I will not stay away from her. I am sorry but I can't," Renjun told him before turning on his heels and walking away.

"You will be ceased of your existence, Angel Renjun." He came to an abrupt stop, his feet planted onto the floor. It was a threat. "And, so will the Demon; Cho Hyewon. This is your only warning, after this, there will be no more. It is all up to you, now."

Renjun looked back once and gulped down the lump in his throat. "You are so cruel," He spoke his mind before walking out of Heaven.

. . .

Renjun made it to his dorm, he opened the door revealing an anxious angel as well as an anxious demon. He was surprised to see that she was still there.

"Renjun!" She cried out as she looked up at him. She rushed over to him and pulled him into a hug. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Renjun's heart melted at her words. She cared. And yet, he was a coward. He blinked the tears that stung his eyes and pushed her away.

"I'm fine. But we should talk," He uttered in a monotone voice. It confused her. Without sparing another glance at her, he walked into his room. She followed him.

"Renjun, I–"

"You were right, we can not be friends," He cut her off and she only felt more bewildered.

Hyewon reached for his hand yet before she could hold it, he moved away. Ouch. She looked at him, focusing on his eyes.

She ignored his words and actions hoping that if she prolonged the conversation, he would change his mind. "What happened? I was so worried."

"I was scared," Renjun told her, "I still am. I'm scared of you, Hyewon. I don't want to do this."

"What?" She was perplexed. "But you said you weren't scared anymore. You said–" She paused to gulp the lump of emotion in her throat, "..you said you needed me."

"I don't want to be near you," He ushered her out. But she was persistent to stay.

"You said I could stay."

"Just go!" Renjun raised his voice, startling her. "Please." He pleaded with his eyes and she noticed the glint of sadness in the brown hue.

A feeling of guilt surged through her body knowing that she was the reason for his sudden hostility.

Without another word, she took her jacket and did as he wished.