08

| chapter eight | i hate you

| chapter eight |
i hate you..
« but i knew you'd linger like a tattoo kiss
i knew you'd haunt all of my what-ifs »

"You just wanted some fun?" Renjun broke the silence first. He stared at her in disbelief. Hyewon closed the door behind her before turning back to him. "I thought we– honestly, I don't even know what I expected from you."

The demon didn't know what to say. From the very start, she knew that a relationship with him would be a total wreck. And although, she was simply in it for the fun. She didn't expect it to end so soon.

"We kissed, Hyewon," the angel reminded her as if she could ever forget, "Did that mean nothing? It was probably not a first for you but I had never felt anything like that before."

"You shouldn't have expected anything," Hyewon shrugged, "I mean..yeah, we shared a kiss but like you said that day, a relationship between an angel and a demon never ends well. Our relationship could never go beyond a kiss, hell, we shouldn't even look at each other."

It was silent for a while as Renjun processed her words. He should've known better. He didn't even love her, what he felt was simply an ephemeral desire. Yet, he couldn't help but feel hurt by her words.

"You're so cruel, you know. I should have listened when Jeno warned me about your type," he spoke bitterly, "Demons are cruel, you don't know love or basically anything. All you know is how to hurt others. You're practically hopeless."

Hyewon scoffed, rolling her eyes as she tried to hide the fact that his words stung. "Believe me, Renjun, angels aren't so great either. You guys are merely puppets. Your life is depressing which explains why you're so easily enticed by demons. You are so bored with your life that you look for fun where you can't have it."

Renjun glared at her, but instead of anger all his eyes showed was sadness. Another disadvantage of being an angel, they can't show anger. "I hate you," he muttered.

"You're not the first," the demon spat back before walking away, bumping her shoulder against his harshly as she left.

Hyewon's anger didn't die down even after she left campus. She walked as far as she could trying to lessen her rage but to no avail.

"Twirl for me, baby girl," A random drunk catcalled the demon fueling her anger even more. She grabbed ahold of his collar and dragged him to a secluded alley.

"Say that again," she pushed him against the brick wall. Immediately, the man began apologizing as he noticed her red face and darkened eyes. "Say it, fucking asshole."

To say that she was enraged was an understatement. She had already been irritated by Hani, then her argument with Renjun, and now this stupid drunk. People decided to mess with her on the wrong day.

"I-I'm sorry," the man struggled as Hyewon tightened her grip on his neck. "Please–" The man kicked and gasped for air, until every limb of his body lost its strength. She let go, letting his body collapse to the hard floor. Strangling him to death wasn't enough for her though, she wanted more. But as much as she wanted to she couldn't go on a killing spree simply because of a meaningless argument that angered her more than it should have.

So, she continued wandering aimlessly. Eventually, her feet led her to the only place that managed to make her feel at ease. Yet, as she sat down on the green meadow, she knew that the place was ruined for her as well. It reminded her of him. She cursed herself for bringing him to the field.

Anger wasn't the only thing she felt when she thought of him though. In the pot of her hidden emotions, anger was joined by sadness and desire.

Maybe he wasn't the only one that craved what he couldn't have. What if she was just like him? What if she was in it for more than just fun?

Hyewon let out an annoyed groan at her absurd thoughts. She plopped herself back and laid sprawled on the grass.

"I hate you."  She was reminded of his last words to her.

"Forget you, Renjun. I hate you," the demon  yelled out loud. If anyone saw her, they'd think she was crazy. Perhaps, she was. "Gosh, why– why do I keep thinking about you?" She groaned and closed her eyes trying to rid herself of the image of him.

She hated that he was stuck in her head, she hated that she liked his smile, and she hated that he made her happy.

But the truth that only she knew was that, deep down in the depths of her slowly beating heart, she was thoroughly enamored with the angel.

🦧

🦧