26

| chapter twenty-six |he is the best thing

he is the best thing..
« all the things i did just so
i could call you mine »

Never in her two lives had Hyewon ever imagined that she'd be face to face with The One and Only God of The Universe. She felt inferior under His gaze. She was. But the demon inside of her didn't let her cower.

She walked closer, hesitantly, yet with her shoulders back and her head held high.

"Demon Cho Hyewon," The Deity's voice prompted goosebumps to run along her arms. "Welcome."

"I doubt I'm welcome here," She talked back then, at the Deity's stern look, she pursed her lips to stop herself from saying anything else.

He cleared his throat before speaking again, "I'm sure you know why I have summoned you, right?"

Hyewon nonchalantly nodded her head. "Of course, I know. So just tell me. What will you do to me?" The Demon mustered a confident tone of voice, unwilling to waste time beating around the bush. After all, she knew what was to come. "Will you make me disappear? Or keep me hostage until Renjun forgets me?" He remained silent. Hyewon hated the quiet so she continued talking. "I'm fine with anything as long as nothing happens to him. He didn't do anything wrong, it was me that lured him in. I basically forced him into this relationship. I'm the one at fault, not him." She was almost breathless by the time she finished talking.

"Is that true?"

Hyewon nodded.

The Deity looked down into his hands, they held a large book. He searched for something within the pages.

"Angel Huang Renjun," He furrowed his brows. "This is his first life and he has already caused trouble."

"No, he hasn't–"

"Getting involved with someone like you is trouble. He was aware and he still did it. Archangel Lee warned him and he continued," The Man spoke sternly.

"I told you it was all me. He is innocent, he has always been. So please don't punish him. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I don't want to lose him. I'm the demon, I should be punished," Hyewon practically begged.

He raised a brow as He looked down at the demon. He was curious as to why someone like her held so much affection towards an angel.

But his strict mind didn't budge, not even a little bit. He couldn't pardon such a sin.

"The only way for Angel Huang Renjun to be exempt from eternal punishment is if your soul ceased existence instead. If this happens, you won't be able to live your third and final life."

Hyewon felt like crying then and there. She knew the consequences from the start but the cruelty still surprised her.

Was it so wrong for her to love him?

She was scared not for herself but for him. She was scared he was going to hurt too much. Or that he'd hate her for leaving and wish that they never even crossed paths.

Because to her, what she had with him was the most beautiful thing. Being with him calmed her hurricane of a soul. He made her want to live. Before him, she merely existed as a heartless demon. With him, her heart found its beat again. It thumped louder than ever before and it made her feel warm inside.

The Demon had found her place, she found it in the warmth of his embrace, in the delicacy of his voice, and the gentle touch of his kisses. She had found the place she belonged in within the pureness of his angelic soul.

But what they shared was forbidden and although it hurt so bad, for him, she would do anything. Even if it meant giving herself up.

"Okay."

a short chapter :)

a short chapter :)