35

| chapter thirty-five |i'm so scared« it's not fair to pull you into my chaos »

i'm so scared
« it's not fair to pull you into my chaos »

"That's enough, lovebirds," Yoon said. "You guys are forgetting that we're in danger. We have to run."

"Right." Hyewon pulled away from Renjun and stood up. Jaemin rushed over to her to help lift Renjun off the ground.

Renjun draped his right arm over Jaemin's shoulder and the left one over Hyewon's. The three of them followed behind Yoon.

A chilling roar and a gust of wind sent chills down Hyewon's spine. She looked back and to their dismay, Satan was already trailing after them. But, he wasn't alone. A Mortualma. Dead and angry souls combined into one. It was one of Satan's most deadly creations. And it was chasing them, ready to steal another soul.

"We have to hurry," Hyewon yelled out and increased her pace. Her body ached with every step she took, but the only thing on her mind was getting Renjun out of Hell.

The long corridor seemed to be never-ending. Enclosed in darkness, it was impossible to see an exit. Though Yoon and Hyewon knew the place, exiting Hell was always difficult. Not to mention the fact that Satan could've already manipulated the place. It was possible that they were running in circles.

"They're getting closer. We won't make it," Jaemin said while frantically looking back and forth. Amidst distraction, Jaemin tripped over his own foot and dragged Renjun and Hyewon to the ground with him.

"Fuck," he groaned and stood up. "I'm sorry." He helped Renjun up.

Hyewon stood up on her own. They had lost Yoon. She looked back at Satan and the Mortualma. They were too close. Even if they continued to run, they would catch up. She would never forgive herself if Jaemin, Yoon, and Renjun got hurt because of her. Because of her own selfish desires.

Renjun, as always, could read her like an open book. He was well aware of what she was thinking. "Hyewon," he called out to her. "We have to go. They're gonna catch up."

Hyewon looked at Renjun and shook her head. She smiled sadly at him. Adored him. She had forgotten how much she loved to look at him.

"Jaemin, get him out of here," she said without tearing her eyes away from him. A tear slipped out of Renjun's eyes. "Now. I'm gonna try to hold them back for however long I can."

Jaemin looked back and forth between her and the beasts trailing after them. Tears prickled his eyes. Even he knew that that moment could be the last time he ever saw her.

"We can't leave you here alone," he said and walked to her side.

Hyewon let out a frustrated sigh, "You need to. Please. They're getting closer. Leave!" She tried pushing them to go, but they wouldn't budge. Renjun and Jaemin stood facing the Devil and the Mortualma with stern faces. As if they weren't on the verge of death. As if they could defeat them.

They knew they could not. But they also couldn't bear to leave Hyewon to fight alone. Though a demon, she was always selfless. Helping out the other demons. No one showed the same kindness back to her. She fought alone for the longest time, in the human and demon world. Jaemin and Renjun wanted to give her a break from all the cruelty. So, they stayed.

"Please, you need to go," she practically begged. Renjun watched her with the saddest frown on his face. She looked behind her. They had a few minutes left before they were face to face with Satan.

Hyewon was scared. She felt fear all throughout her body; in her rapidly beating heart, the pounding in her head, and the numbing feeling in each one of her limbs. "I don't want to die," she finally let her walls crumble down. "I'm so scared." Renjun reached for her and pulled her into his embrace. He held her as if everything was going to turn out okay.

Amidst the chaos in her life, he was the only one that could bring everything to a standstill. The only to make her feel like they were the only two people in the world.

 The only to make her feel like they were the only two people in the world

in case you're curious, i made up the name Mortualma. it's a combination of the Latin word for dead; Mortuus and the Spanish word for soul, Alma. i love making up words.