38

| chapter thirty-eight |you promise?« you couldn't have loved me better »

you promise?
« you couldn't have loved me better »

Renjun held Hyewon her tightly.

He figured that if these were the last moments he would ever spend with her, he would at least spend them holding her. He whispered into her ear that he loves her, everything that he failed to say before they knew their time together was going to be cut short. Hyewon only buried her face deeper into the crook of his shoulder as he rested his head against hers.

Stomach to stomach. Chest to chest. Their entire bodies were pressed against each other, yet even though they were as close as physically possible, they couldn't help but tighten their arms around each other even more. It was as if the physical distance was not enough. As if their souls were desperate to be intertwined, but their bodies were in the way.

"This isn't the end, okay?" Renjun whispered. "We will see each other again." He pulled away enough to look at her beautiful face, her eyes; his favorite thing to look at.

Hyewon smiled sadly at him. She nodded her head and held both his hands in hers. "I'll find you again. In my next life, I will find you and I will love you even more than I did in this one." A single tear fell down her cheek. Renjun reached his hand to her face and gently rubbed his thumb over the tear. She chuckled, "But you have to promise me that when I do find you, you will remember me. And that you will fall in love with me all over again. You promise?" She stuck out her pinky.

Renjun looked at her in silence for a moment. There were no words that could ever explain the way he felt for her. It was an overwhelming feeling for him, but she was the owner of his entire heart, body, and soul. He was convinced that his heart would only ever beat for her, his body would only ever burn for her touch, and his soul would only ever exist for her; in every single one of his lives. So, he reached out his pinky to hers and intertwined them.

"I promise. I will never not love you. I will never love again unless it is you that I am loving, Cho Hyewon," he told her and pulled her in for one last kiss.

There were no words that could capture the intensity of the moment. No words for the passion and desperation that was exchanged with the kiss.

Renjun could taste Hyewon's tears amidst the kiss. He slowly pulled away and looked at her lovingly. He bent down, kissing each tear away. He caressed her cheek gently as he assured her one more time, "We will see each other again."

Hyewon nodded. "We will." Renjun smiled at her and then looked up at the Deity and knew by the look on His face that it was time.

Then, hand in hand, they walked toward the Diety. He looked at Renjun with an unfazed expression and walked toward Hyewon.

The Demon inhaled then exhaled a deep breath. She did not let go of Renjun's hand. She admired Renjun one last time before closing her eyes.

The Deity raised a hand above Hyewon's forehead and slowly her body dissipated. Renjun watched her with a rapidly beating heart. He tightened his hand around hers, until the warmth of her hand in his disappeared. The being his heart chose to love turned into ash.

His love, Cho Hyewon, was gone.

He would meet her again, in another life. But for now, he fell to his knees and grieved the life they could've shared in this life.

His hands touched the floor she stood on as he let out uncontrollable sobs. This suffering was part of his punishment. The Deity could've banished him to purgatory in a second, but instead He let him feel the heartache of grief. The consequence of his sins. In a way, this pain was an insight to what awaited him in purgatory.

Renjun held his chest tightly and looked at the Deity with his swollen red eyes. "You will place her in my path again, right?"

He didn't say anything.

"She is the only thing I want. The only thing I'll ever ask for. Let me love her again in my next life," he pleaded.

The Deity sighed, "If the two of you are meant to be, the heavens will bring you two together again. Right now, you must fulfill your punishment."

Renjun nodded and closed his eyes. The faster he got his punishment, the faster he would meet Hyewon again.

Perhaps, this time around, the two will get their happily ever after.

THE END.

wow. it took me a whole year and nine months to complete this story! i am so glad that it's done and that i can put my energy into other books i have planned.

i really hope everyone that came across this story enjoyed reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it (completely disregard the times i went m.i.a).

thank you so much for reading until the end, for your comments, and for your votes. it all means so much to me, truly. 🤍

- A <3

p.s., what do you guys think about an epilogue?