22

| chapter twenty-two | you're the best thing

you're the best thing..
« when i take a look at my life and
all of my crimes, you're the only thing
that i think i got right »

The next morning came by shortly. Hyewon was the first to wake up. A small smile decorated her face as she laid her head on her hand and admired the angel that slept on the pillow beside her. His eyebrows were drawn together and he had a small frown on his lips as he slept. He looked so beautiful.

Reaching her hand out, she gracefully dragged it along his skin. The tips of her fingers followed the line of his jaw, the curve of his cheek, and the outline of his lips.

"Renjun," Hyewon whispered his name. He wouldn't budge, not even a single flinch. She found it cute the way he was so deeply asleep. A soft chuckle left her lips. "Jun, wake up."

This time, he only grumbled in response. The demon leaned in and placed a quick peck on his lips. Only then, he fluttered his eyes open.

"Morning," she smiled at him. "How are you feeling?" Renjun reached out and grabbed ahold of her waist, in a swift motion, he pulled her close to his chest and under the comforter.

"Mm, I feel great," He kissed the top of her head. "I want to stay here with you forever."

Hyewon nodded, nuzzling her head closer, "Me, too. Let's not do anything today, let's just lay in bed. Like the lazy humans."

"Lazy?" He questioned, "I don't think Humans are lazy. I mean some go to school, others work, and others do chores. There's a lot of things that huma—"

Hyewon craned her neck to look at him and shut him up with a kiss. Renjun, as always, was stunned into silence by her unexpected actions.

"You talk too much," she muttered against his lips. She placed one last peck on them before laying back down.

"I just don't think humans get the credit they deserve for simply surviving," Renjun continued. "They truly suffer a lot but still keep fighting. It's admirable."

Hyewon nodded, a solemn smile on her face. "I know. I was human once." She sighed. "I wish I kept fighting. It's too late now...but if I could go back in time, I think I'd choose to stay." She paused for a bit before continuing, "And I think I would wait for you so that being with you was easier."

"Well, I think I would find you in an instant," Renjun smiled down at her. "The moment I step foot on the land, as a human, there would be a rope and I'd follow it. No matter how far. As long as it leads me to you, I'd go anywhere."