Chapter 21

Dinner goes smoothly well which I'm glad but part of me feels incomplete. I am with my family but Klaus isn't here. I want him here. He is part of my crazy family. Davina has told me I can find out the gender of the child soon but I've said no. I don't feel right without him finding out with me. It was something that every parent should find out for themselves with each other. I want to spend some time with my brother but can't seem to say the words. Funny how he was the one person I could easily talk to but now could be the one person who would hurt to lose the most with the news of the baby.

I had said my goodnights to everyone and decided to sit out in the garden for a little while. "I thought I would find you out here, you always were someone to sit outside at night" I looked to the side to the voice of Damon. "You look good Elena, which is why I can't hide this from you any longer" What was Damon hiding from me? "I was in New Orleans a few days to a week after my first arrival here. I am the source that told Klaus and Marcellous about Katherine and her partner Aurora. Katherine sent us a message and I told Klaus about it and left this city not wanting you to know I was here" In all this time Damon still looks after me. He still cares for me. "I saw the way Klaus looks when your name is mentioned and I'm not blind to see your look tonight when I mentioned him. I will always love you Elena Gilbert and I know something else is going on but I don't know what yet but I know you and I know when you love someone. I hate how much he cares about you and that you care for him which is why I know you're in love with him and I don't hate you for it" Damon fesses up. All this time I wondered who was the source and it was Damon. When he finds out about the baby I don't think he will hate me for what he just said.

"Thank you Damon, I will always have a place for you in my heart but you're not wrong. None of the others know except for his siblings. I fell in love with the big bad wolf" I say back.

"You and your bad boys Elena Gilbert" He laughs. I nudge Damon in the arm and laugh. At least he and I are okay. I miss Damon's smartass humor. But I miss my conversations with him most.

The night started to get cold so Damon and I went inside. Except I found myself in the library. I had spent most of my nights in this room this past month. Sometimes I wouldn't touch a single book, I would just sleep on the couch. I picked up a new hobby of painting. I'm not as good as Klaus but I wasn't horrible. In the library my canvas sat on a stand. It's a painting of flames with a falling black leaf. This room I found diaries of letters that Klaus had written over the years. It holds so many stories of untold places. I plump myself on the couch and pull the blanket over me. "Where are you Klaus?" I whisper into the unknown.

Klaus pov

"GOD DAMN IT KLAUS I LOVE YOU! THERE I SAID IT I KNOW WHAT I FEEL MATING BOND OR NOT I LOVE YOU! We're going to fight but you're not the monster you once were and if you love me like your siblings tell me you do then you will come home" I have listened to the voicemail more than once since I received it.

I will return to you Elena but just not yet. It's time you have time with your family without me.

London will have to come to an end soon.

Elena pov

I woke to find myself crying in the middle of the night. I felt as If I was reliving it. Elijah taking me against my will while Rebekah chases me in the tunnels like a lost puppy. Trying to burn me alive. Nothing about it felt right. Probably just pregnancy cons. I wipe the tears away and try to close my eyes to sleep.

I had woken to the sound of Jeremy and Alaric arguing with Kol about god knows what but it was loud. I had sneaked some of the human blood this morning into my system to fill my stomach. I lay on the couch awake admiring my painting. The black leaf is like the last burnt piece of humanity falling into the brewing flames.