chapter 23

I pull out a blood bag from the fridge and pour it into a glass. I go into the dining room and take a seat next to Elijah. Stefan is diagonal from me and is eyeing me off. How long will this last? Elijah stands up from his seat and raises his glass. "It's Christmas eve and I just wanted to say how blessed I am for you all allowing Elena into our care but mostly that we're going to have another Mikealson in the year to come" Elijah toasts. Clinks of glasses go around with disturbed looks. I try to eat my dinner as casually as I can without feeling off because of Stefan. He's not making this any easier. "So when should we be back to see my niece or nephew?" I look up to Jeremy with a smile.

"Umm well maybe in the next 8-7 months, I don't really know" I guess.

"We must have a call as soon as the baby arrives, I don't want to miss a chance of seeing the gorgeous baby" Caroline squeals. Caroline will never get to have kids which is why I want her to be included in the child's life as well. Care is such a kind and over protective person and she would make a great mother except now she won't ever get that chance. Same with Rebekah. Rebekah didn't have a choice in even becoming a vampire. Her whole human life was ripped away from her.

I become more tense as Stefan watches me from the corner of his eye. I close my eyes and breathe. Need to stay calm. I open my eyes to see Stefan looking away but still watching. Okay this is just nuts. "Elena, you're rather tense, what seems to be the matter?" Elijah whispers towards me. I try to not make it obvious that I'm tense but to Elijah he's more aware. "It's Stefan," I answered quietly. Elijah looks over at Stefan who is now talking to Caroline. I look down at my glass which is empty. I've already drunk it all, I really am tense. The hunger is building as I grow more tense. "I'll follow you out," He says to me. I know what to do. I stand up out of my seat and pick up my glass. "Elena, are you okay?" Alaric notices.

"Yeah, just getting a drink" I answered correctly. I feel Stefan's eyes lay on me as I exit the room. Don't look back, just walk out.

I rip the larger stash door open and scandal out a blood bag. I tear off the seal and skull the remains down. I toss the bag on the floor and get out another. I can't control this anger in hunger. Erh why can't Stefan just move on from me? I toss the second bag on the floor and get another. I don't realise how many I've had until I look up at Elijah. He steps closer to me but I move back. I look around at the floor to see six bags scattered. I stand frozen as I feel Elijah's arms hold me. "It does get easier Elena, in time you will be more aware but for now I think it best you let out this rage where our guests can not see" He means go for a run. He isn't wrong. "I'll call Haley to let her know you're going to be in the bayou and to leave clothes out for you" Elijah finishes. I let go of his reach and we headed back out.

When I step out into the main area I am acquainted with Stefan. Couldn't he see how angry and hungry I am. Or does he not care? I walk straight past him but only to be stopped. I push his grip off my wrist. "Elena we need to talk,'' he sternly says. Hell no we don't! With all the anger I have stored up I throw Stefan across the other side of the room. I go over to him to see his face change into rage. "I don't want to hurt you Elena" he growled. "I want to be in your child's life but I don't want it to have to do with this family, I love you Elena can't you see that and then you get with my brother then you go and sleep with Klaus. This child is the only thing keeping you human but even the child isn't going to be human. How are you going to live with all this pain and knowing that your child was just a mistake" How dare he try to tell me what I did and that my baby is a mistake.

"I have accepted that I'm no longer human and that the baby won't be either but what I do know is that this child wasn't a mistake. I slept with Klaus on my own free will, so take all of that so-called love for me and shove it up your ass because you're not the Stefan I once loved" I scream. Stefan goes snap my neck except I toss him again. Before I can take another swing Stefan is moved out of my reach. "That's enough mate" Kol is holding Stefan back with Elijah. I look around to see my Mystic Falls family shocked from the commotion.

I have Damon at my side with Rebekah. "Elena I'm sorry, I shouldn't have" Before Stefan can go on Damon silences him. "Stefan I think it's best if you leave, when the time is right maybe one day you can meet my child" I somehow calmly tell him. The hurt in Stefan's eyes hurt me but this is what is best. I turn around to face everyone and look back at Stefan. "Please don't follow me, I'm going for a run and will be back at some stage" with that I make my way towards the door and leave this sight.

Running free after a wild night is a good feeling. An easier way to clear my head. How long until I can't transition while pregnant? How long until the guilt comes crashing down again? Ugh just shut up thoughts and let me run! I've been out here for about an hour and decided I should stop. I stop at the place Elijah told me to go where Haley is. I stand naked under the moonlight and change into the clothing that has been left out for me. "You look better" I turn around and smile at Haley. "What do you say to sitting by the river?" She asks. I guess that should be okay.

Haley and I sat by the river and talked about family, Christmas and parenthood. Haley never knew her real parents unlike me who met them. I always thought she was a bitch in Mystic Falls but she's changed so much. I guess life can change everyone's path. I invited her to the Christmas dinner tomorrow night and headed home.

I took a quick steaming warm shower and changed into my pajamas. "Hey uh Elena" I walked out of my bathroom to see my brother. Jermey steps in and lays on my bed with me. "Jer, will you be an uncle to my baby?" I softly wonder. "Of course I would be, I may not like Klaus but I do love you and I will love that child" He answered. I have the answer that I've been waiting for this whole time. I am going to get to wake up with my brother on Christmas and he will get to be an uncle. "It's really good to see you Elena, but are you going to ever come back to Mystic Falls?" He asks. Mystic Falls is the place I haven't thought about returning to in a while. I wanted to leave that girl behind and move on from that life.

"I will visit but I won't move there, my home is here now in New Orleans" I confirm. The girl who lived and died in Mystic Falls is not the girl I am today. I died as a broken girl who awoke more broken but has become strong. There isn't a chance I would move back there. Especially if Katherine wants me dead once again. I snuggled up to my brother and I fell asleep knowing that tomorrow is Christmas.

I love Christmas but will Elena love it too? 

I would love to know what you all think of Sweet but sour so far.