3

a week later
AMELIAS POV
I start work today. I was nervous. I don't know anyone besides Meredith and Derek, and kinda their friend Owen. I've been so upset about the divorce I forgot to try to adjust to life here. I've barely left my room or done anything. Ryan called a few more times and I had to stop answering. The whole situation made me mad because I loved him so much. I feel selfish leaving because if I was in trouble I know I would want him to help me. I tried to help but nothing worked, and all I was doing was craving drugs. I got dressed and walked downstairs.
"Are you hungry?" Derek asked.
"No," I said.
"You should eat something before you go in," Derek said.
"I'm fine," I said.
"Are you okay? I can tell Bailey you'll start next week," he said.
"No I'm fine I need to do something anyway," I said.
"Okay," Derek said, "if it gets to be too much tell me."
"It'll be fine," I said. I grabbed my keys and drove to work. I sighed as I parked in the lot and looked at the hospital. I didn't want to be here. I wanted to be at home with my husband and all my friends. I wanted to go into the office with Charlotte and Addison. I wanted to visit my husband on my lunch break. I wanted to be home. I didn't even realize I was crying until I heard a knock on the window which startled me. I looked and it was Derek's friend Owen. Fuck. I rolled down the window and quickly wiped my eyes.
"Hey," I said.
"You alright?" He asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"You sure?" He asked.
"Yeah Owen I'm fine," I said.
"Wanna walk in together," he offered.
"Sure," I said. I grabbed my stuff and wiped my eyes again and walked in with him. It was quiet since he just saw me crying in my car. I've made a really good first impression on him.

OWENS POV
I was worried about Derek's sister Amelia. She seemed really upset. She kept telling me she was fine but she obviously wasn't. Meredith mentioned a messy divorce but I don't know what happened. I walked into the cafeteria and saw her sitting at one of the tables on her phone, despite Derek and Meredith sitting with a few people. I grabbed my lunch and sat down across from her. She looked up from her phone and looked at me.
"Hi," she said.
"Hi," I said.
"Why are you sitting here?" She asked.
"You looked lonely," I said.
"I am," she joked and took a sip from her drink.
"Do you want to sit with everyone else?" I asked, "I can introduce you if Meredith and Derek haven't."
"They have," she sighed, "I like it over here."
"Can I stay?" I asked.
"Sure you can stay," she shrugged.
"Okay," I said.
"Is meredith forcing you to hangout with me?" She asked.
"No," I said.
"Are you sure?" She chuckled.
"Yes," I said.
"Okay," she said.
"What are you doing tonight?" I asked.
"Eating ice cream while watching TV for the third night in a row," she said, "would you like to join?"
"Well what type of ice cream?" I joked.
"I don't know I have to get some after work," she said, "what would you like?"
"Whatever you get," I said.
"Alright," she said, "there might be a fair amount of crying too."
"Crying is okay," I said.
"Okay," she said, "then I will see you after work."

AMELIAS POV
Why did I invite him over. Why. I hate people. Okay, I don't hate people. I hate people when I'm trying to be alone. And when I'm trying to cope. I'm still hurt and I don't want to let more people in. The doorbell rang and I walked downstairs. I'm kinda surprised he came anyway. I opened the door and looked at him.
"You came," I said in a small voice.
"I told you I would, didn't I?" He chuckled.
"Yeah," I said. I walked into the kitchen and Zola and Bailey were coloring pictures.
"Auntie Amy?" Bailey asked.
"Yes honey?" I asked.
"Look at my drawing!" He giggled.
"It's very good Bailey," I smiled and kissed his head.
"And what are you drawing Miss Zola?" I asked.
"A unicorn!" She giggled.
"You two are very good artists," I said. I grabbed the ice cream and walked with Owen upstairs.
"How was your first day of work?" He asked as we sat down on the bed.
"Eh," I shrugged.
"You don't like Seattle?" He asked.
"It's not that I don't like it," I said, "I just miss LA. I miss my life there."
"What was it like?" He asked.
"You don't want to know," I chuckled. He looked at me and I instantly felt nervous.
"Why not," he said. I wasn't just going to tell this stranger everything about my past.
"Because I barely know you," I shrugged.
"So," he shrugged.
"No," I said.
"Okay," he said, "you know I wouldn't be such a stranger if you talked."
"I talk," I said.
"You're silent at work," he said.
"I have a lot going on," I said.
"I'm sorry," he said.
"It's not your fault," I said. My phone rang and it was Ryan, which meant he was high again. He only called me when he was high. I sighed and declined the call. I looked down at my ice cream and wanted it all to go away.
"You know you don't have to act like you're okay all the time," Owen said.
"I'm managing it," I said.
"You don't have to just manage it," Owen said.
"I'm having problems with my ex husband," I said, "there, are you happy?"
"No," Owen said, "I don't like that you're having problems."
"Can we talk about something else?" I asked.
"Sure," he said. I changed the channel and got comfortable as we talked for the rest of the night.