20

1 year later
AUTHORS POV
It had been a year from where we left off. A lot happened in a year. Amelia moved out of Meredith and Derek's dream home and got her own apartment. Her and Owen remained friends, despite falling for each other. Owen said he would wait for her, but Amelia knew that wouldn't last forever. She was so worried about running into a relationship with him because she cared so much about him. She was afraid she would hurt him, because she thought she wasn't good enough for him. This held her back all these months, and she never acted on her feelings for Owen. She shoved them down and acted like nothing ever happened. Owen, on the other hand, wished to be with her so much. Owen thought she was beautiful, he thought she was perfect, and he was so upset to know that she didn't see herself in the same way. The whole situation was complicated, well to them at least. Everyone else around them could see how much they cared for each other.

Amelia walked down the stairs of her apartment complex and got in her car and drove to work. She had been sober for a whole year today. It was a hard journey, but she did it. She walked into work and saw Owen.
"Hey," she said.
"Hey," Owen said, "coffee?"
"Yeah," she said. The two of them walked to the coffee cart and got their morning coffee together. It was something they did every morning. They were walking down the hallway and stopped at Amelia's office. From a distance Derek could see the two.
"When do you think they're finally going to get together?" Meredith asked as she walked up next to him.
"Good question," Derek said, "Amelia hates feelings and stuff like that. She probably won't ever act on it."
"But it's so obvious," Meredith complained.
"I know it is," Derek chuckled.

AMELIAS POV
"What are you doing tonight?" I asked Owen as I sipped my coffee and looked at scans.
"Nothing," Owen said.
"Can you do me a favor?" I asked.
"Sure," he said.
"Can you come with me to my AA meeting?" I asked.
"Sure, what time is it?" He asked.
"7," I said.
"Okay, I'll be there," he said. That made me smile.
"Thank you," I said.
"You're welcome," he said. I wanted to tell him how much I still liked him. I didn't know if he moved on. He said he'd wait for me but it had been a whole year. I've been talking to my therapist and she thinks I'm ready for a relationship. I think I am too because I really like Owen, but I don't know how to act on it. Maybe I'll tell him later.
-
"What do I wear tonight?" Owen asked as we were walking out of the hospital.
"Anything," I said, "doesn't matter."
"Okay," he said, "I'll pick you up?"
"Sure, thanks," I smiled.
"You're welcome," he said. I drove home and got ready. I was a little nervous. I was speaking at my one year sober meeting, and I was planning on telling Owen I still had feelings for him. I didn't know how any of this would end. I hope Owen still feels the same way but he doesn't have to. He doesn't have to wait forever for me. I put my shoes on and grabbed a jacket and there was a knock at my door. I grabbed my keys and opened it to Owen. God he looked adorable.
"Hey," I smiled.
"Ready?" He asked.
"Yeah," I smiled. I locked the door behind me and we walked down the stairs to my apartment and out to his car. We started driving and all I could think about was how much I wanted to tell him I still had feelings.
-
"Congratulations," Owen said as we walked up to my apartment. I was holding my one year chip and I smiled.
"Thank you," I said, "I owe a lot of it to you."
"But you did the rest on your own," he said, "you're strong and you did it." I unlocked the front door and walked in.
"Can we talk about something?" I asked him.
"Sure," he said. We sat down on the couch and I looked at him.
"So I was talking to my therapist, and she said she thinks I'm ready for a relationship. And I'm not just using her words, I feel ready too. I really like you Owen, and I've always had these feelings for you, but a year ago I was in a dark place and I was scared. I still am scared. I'm so scared I'll ruin this with you. I'm still scared I'm not good enough for you, but I'm at least in a place that I know I want to try with you. I know it's been a year and if you've moved on I get it. You didn't have to wait for me forever. But I know I couldn't go on and not tell you how I felt," I said. I could feel the tears fall down my face. Owen moved closer to me as he wiped my tears with his thumbs. He held my face and I looked at him.
"Don't say you aren't enough for me," he said softly, "because you're everything to me. I care about you. I've always cared about you. You're my everything and you're enough for me." He leaned in and kissed me passionately. I smiled into the kiss and kissed him back.
"You're enough," Owen whispered before kissing me again.