25

AMELIAS POV
Christopher's birthday. It never got any easier. He was supposed to be 9 today. He was supposed to be running around the house laughing and giggling and spending time with his friends. I was sitting at my kitchen counter looking at a cupcake I had put out. It was a tradition Ryan and I had, but this year it was different.

"I wish he was here," I said as I looked at Ryan.
"I know, me too," he said. I grabbed the framed photo of us at the hospital with Christopher that was on the shelf in the living room. It was the only framed photo we had. Ryan came up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder and kissed my temple.
"Come on, we have to go light a candle for him," He said. We walked over to the kitchen and Ryan grabbed a cupcake out of the fridge. It was a tradition we had. We lit a candle on a cupcake every year for him. I grabbed the matches and lit the candle as we both looked at the cupcake.
"It doesn't get easier does it?" I looked at Ryan.
"I'm afraid not," Ryan said as he put his arm around me, "well buddy I hope you're having a great 8th birthday in heaven. I hope you're having a good and safe time up there and that you have met your grandfather."
"Happy birthday bubba. Mommy and daddy love you so much," I said as I wiped my eyes. Ryan brought me in for a hug and kissed my head. We blew out the candle and stood there in silence. Like every year, and each one to come.

Now I stood here alone. No Ryan. No Christopher. I grabbed the matches I had out of the cabinet and grabbed a candle. I put it in the cupcake and lit it.
"Hi buddy. I know your birthday looks a little different this year, and I'm sorry. I hope that you and daddy are together in heaven celebrating, and that you're having a good time. I hope you and dad are safe, and that you guys are protecting each other. I hope you have a great 9th birthday," I said and blew the candle out. I felt my eyes fill with tears as I walked into the other room.

OWENS POV
I haven't heard from Amelia since I dropped her off. I'm second guessing myself. Maybe I shouldn't have left her alone. She was really upset and wanted to be alone, but maybe I shouldn't have let her. I got in my car and drove over to her apartment complex. I walked up the stairs and knocked on her door.
"Amelia?" I asked, "it's me." There was no response. Shit.
"Amelia?" I asked louder.
"Amelia!" I yelled as I knocked on the door. After a few seconds the door opened and Amelia looked at me. She was wrapped in a bath robe and her hair was wet. Her eyes were swollen and red from crying.
"I'm sorry I was in the shower," she said in a small voice.
"It's okay," I said softly, "I wanted to check up on you."
"Oh, Uh, I'm okay," she said.
"Can I come in?" I asked. She nodded. I followed her inside and she went and got changed. I knew today was her son's birthday and she must be taking that hard, and Ryan wasn't here. I'm sure they did something together, or at least talked about it. Amelia came out of her room and sat down on the couch.
"I thought about it today," she said quietly.
"About what?" I asked.
"Relapsing," she said.
"Okay," I said and sat down next to her.
"I miss them so much," she said crying, "sometimes I wish the drugs killed me too."
"Amelia," I sighed as I brought her into a hug,
"Don't say that. They didn't kill you for a reason. Look where you are now."
"My child is dead Owen," she said, "I don't want to talk about it."
"Okay," I said. I held her in my arms until she fell asleep.
-
Amelia opened her eyes and looked up at me.
"Hey," I said.
"Hey," she said.
"Sleep well?" I asked.
"Yeah," she said.
"Want anything to eat?" I asked.
"Sure," she said. We got up and walked into her kitchen where I started looking for things to cook.
"Can we forget about what I said?" She asked.
"About relapsing?" I asked.
"And wanting to be dead," she said.
"Sure, but as long as you tell me if you're having urges so I know to keep you safe," I said.
"Yeah," She nodded, "I'll tell you."
"Okay," I said, "then we can forget you said it."
"Thanks," she said as she walked over and hugged me.
"You're welcome," I said.