𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐕

THE END OF AN ERAChapter Fifteen

THE END OF AN ERA
Chapter Fifteen

'Maybe, I don't really wanna know,
How your garden grows,
'Cause I just wanna fly.
Lately, did you ever feel the pain,
In the morning rain,
As it soaks you to the bone?'

As the last remnants of spring rushed by in a flurry of dandelion seeds and newly forming flowers, summer finally took hold around Hogwarts. And while it thankfully wasn't as boiling in Scotland just as the other parts of the UK suffered an exhausting heatwave, the weather in and around the castle was just right.

Arabella had happily spent her final few days before the summer avoiding Sage, the girl was always irritably eager to question her on her new joyful behaviour ever since Sirius and Maya escaped the clutches of Snivellus once again. She had to admit it however, it was quite enjoyable having those last couple of days quietly to herself, occasionally chatting with Lavender and Parvati who were always flittering in and out of the dorm room and happy to talk to her.

On the very last night however, Harry and Arabella decided between themselves that it would probably be a good idea if they had one last chat with Lupin before the summer holidays, since they both hadn't really had a proper conversation with him ever since the night of Sirius and Maya's escape.

They chatted amongst themselves as they made their way through one of the towers that lead to the defence against the dark arts classroom, an hour or so before their curfew. Arabella hadn't much to do when she got back anyway, all her belongings were packed away safely in their trunk.

But as they trailed the polished wood inside of the classroom and towards the small staircase that lead up to Lupin's office, she noticed the atmosphere felt a little off. Something else she paid close attention to was that the room was filled with the sounds of paper rattling and things being placed away in the room above them.

"Hello Arabella and Harry," Lupin spoke politely to them both as they stood in the doorway, before even turning around to face them, "I saw you coming, I've looked worse believe me."

It pained Arabella to see her favourite teacher and godfather looking this way. He appeared more disheveled than usual, his hair messier and his face scattered with the emotion of disappointment and a hint of sadness in his glistening eyes.

"Professor, are you leaving?" She questioned, her eyes narrowed, "have you been sacked?"

"No, no," He turned around once more, picking up a small piece of parchment and tearing it into pieces, "I resigned actually."

"Resigned!" Harry's eyes widened with both shock and sorrow, "Why?"

"Well, it seems like somebody let slip the nature of my condition, soon the owls will start arriving and parent will not want a um, well someone like me teaching their children."