Chapter Forty-Nine

She knew that it would hurt her to know about her real mother, but she did not know how painful it was to mourn for someone she did not meet, and for the love that had died right before she felt it.

"I'm so sorry, August."

She immediately shook her head. Kanina pa ito humihingi sa kanya ng tawad at ayaw niyang marinig iyon kasi wala naman itong kasalanan.

"Don't apologize, please..." she said, her voice weak from crying.

Scarlette went silent after that. Nakatingin lang ito sa kanya ngunit hindi nawala ang pag-aalala sa mga mata nito. She, on the other hand, was still trying to process everything. Naiintindihan niya, ang dali lang maintindihan ng mga sinabi ni Scarlette pero ang hirap tanggapin. Pakiramdam niya ay bumalik siya sa oras na namatay ang ama niya. The pain was chronic; she did not know how she was able to breathe after.

She was just staring intently at the bracelet while she felt her tears silently flowed.

She prayed for her to live without the traces of her mistakes... but it was too late. She already grew from her mother's own roots, and have inherited some of her flaws. She almost thought that it might be inevitable to grow just like her.

However, she wanted to think otherwise. Unlike her mother, she was hopeful that it was not yet the end for her. She could grow better than what her mother had become, and even if she have never met her, she knew that she was a beautiful one yet one that was lost on a different garden. She might also be one, but she could make it her strength because she was not just her mother's daughter, she was a lot more than her. She knew she was, and she would live by it. In honor of her late mother, she would be more than she ever wished her to be. She would grow well and beautiful, for herself and the people she loved.

She took a deep breath, wiped her tears, and faced Scarlette with determination in her eyes.

"I'm better than all the mistakes my mother and I both did, right?" she asked boldly as she anticipated the affirmation. She just needed it.

Napansin niyang sandali itong nagulat pero kalaunan ay ngumiti rin sa kanya. She even had unshed tears on her eyes as she nodded her head and uttered, "Yes, you are."

Right. She was better and she was stronger than all of it.

"Thank you."

It felt like a heavy load was lifted from her. She did not know how heavy the pain she was feeling at that time until she was free from it. Sometimes, all people need was an affirmation that they could be what they want for themselves. It would even sometimes took just a simple 'yes'  to earn courage and be relieved once again.

They started eating silently after that. She felt how both of them were trying to be careful around each other. The heavy air already subsided and she felt a little unloaded. The silence however seemed to have slapped her back to reality. She was with Scarlette, and they were talking. Parang kagabi lang ay naiisip niya kung paano ito haharapin ulit, not knowing that fate has other plans.

Looking at her now, she seemed fine. She did not look like a stepmother who would get in the way of her children and their father. Alam niyang hindi dapat siya kabahan at mag-alala ngunit hindi niya mawari kung bakit mabigat ang pakiramdam niya sa presensya nito. Iniisip niya na baka dahil ito ang una nilang beses na pagkikita ng babae pakatapos ng mga nangyari noon. That could be it... it should be the reason, right?

The silence was both awkward and comforting dahil hindi niya alam kung paano ito pakikisamahan pagkatapos ng mga mabibigat na rebelasyon. Marami siyang katanungan, at hindi niya alam kung kalian sila ulit magkikita.