Chapter Forty-Seven

Maaga siyang nagising kinabukasan. Agad siyang bumaba habang tulog pa ang mga anak at si Calev. Alam na niyang wala itong trabaho ngayon dahil nagleave ito para makasama ang mga anak.

She went to the dining room and prepared their breakfast. Walang kasambahay si Calev pero ayon dito may nagpupuntang house help doon tuwing Sabado. She checked his ref to check for possible breakfast. She decided to have baked bacon, and salsa verde baked eggs and sausages for the kids. She also prepared French toast bread if ever Calev preferred his breakfast light.

While doing the courses, she could not help to remember what she heard last night. Nang makabalik siya sa kwarto ay pinilit niyang kalimutan ang kanyang mga narinig sa pagtulog. Agad naman siyang dinalaw ng antok habang hindi pa nakakabalik sa kwarto si Calev.

If it was truly Scarlette Derosso Angeles, then what was it to her? Ano naman ngayon kung sila pa rin? The last thing she needed from her was closure from what has happened to them before. Scarlette was part of her painful past. She caused the innocent lady to struggle with her own sorrow. Dinamay niya ito.

After she was freed from jail, lagi niyang naiisip noon ang mga taong nasaktan niya dahil sa pagkamakasarili niya, at kung paano niya mababayaran lahat. She had been meaning to talk to Scarlette pero nakaalis na ito nang magkaroon na siya ng lakas ng loob para kitain ito.

And now that the opportunity to stitch another portion of the wound was there, why did a part of herself want to wimp out? She remembered that maybe the initial process of healing with another person was normally as painful as getting the wound the first time. She knew that to heal completely, she needed to face the demons once again, hence, being afraid was valid.

She could actually just easily ask Calev for help to meet with Scarlette but how? The idea of talking to him now felt difficult after knowing that they were still together. Added to the fact that she and her kids were under his roof for now.

She could not help to wonder if Calev and Scarlette already talked about it? Ano ang opinion ni Scarlette ngayon na malaya nang makakasama ng nobyo ang mga anak? Did she oppose at first, and did it cause them to fight? Calev did not mention his relationship with Scarlette, kung sana ay sinabi nito iyon, she could have... she could have what?

Thinking about the arrangements they have with kids, wala naman siyang nakikitang mali rito. It was just right that Calev got to see the children every weekend. And if he ever wished to bond with the kids longer than weekends, she would always consider it.

But she just could not help to be bothered as Scarlette came into the picture again. Ayaw niya na magkaroon na naman ng gulo. She knew that between Scareltte and her, she was the one who had bigger issues. However, she could not take it from herself to get scared. For her, and for Scarlette.

It had been years and marami na ang nagbago, her children were already here and she probably had her own child by now. Hindi na rin naman niya ipipilit ang sarili pati ang mga anak sa buhay ni Calev at Scarlette kung may ayaw sa kanila ng mga ito. Pero nakita na niya kasi kung gaano kasaya yung mga anak niya kasama ang ama, how could she find the heart to take them away from him? Paano kung hindian ito ni Scarlette bilang kabayaran ng kanyang mga nagawa noon? They should not be the ones paying for her mistakes, hindi sila dapat madamay.

As she was lost in her thoughts, Calev went inside the kitchen. She hurriedly composed herself as he greeted her.

"Good morning," he said with his voice hoarse from waking up.

"Good morning," she answered and proceed with the toast. Tumalikod siya dito.

Kinakalkula niya ang mga kilos ni Calev. Binuksan nito ang ref at uminom ng tubig. Ilang saglit pa ay naramdaman niyang tumabi ito sa kanya kaya pasimple siyang lumayo.