Chapter 54: Stranger

Jung Kook gasped when Hana drove her car to edge of the mountain. He tried to ran after her but his legs wouldn't let him. The next thing he knew, he is standing at the edge, seeing how Hana's car slowly drifted into the sea. He cried for her name but he knows that he wouldn't hear her answer. He fell into his knees, hugging it for the longest time while looking at the sea as it peacefully crash into the rocks, unaffected.

His thoughts were consumed by Hana. He had a lot of unanswered questions but his mind is filled with memories of her. Her entry in his life maybe with intentions but he knows that the way she cared for her was nothing but sincere. She was the sister he never had. When his mother died, Jung Kook felt that a piece of himself had died and Hana's death is making him feel just the same. It felt like losing a family.

"How many more people will be taken away from me?" He asked himself this over and over again. The wailing sound became more audible, but he didn't care. He just wanted to stay from where he is sitting, hoping that his pain will be washed away.

"Jung Kook!" Alejandro called him but he did not turn back. His tears just kept on falling staring at the sea.

"Get the medics here!" Alejandro shouted. The rolling of the wheeled stretcher against the ground was the next thing that he heard. Two men accompanied him to stand and carefully placed him to lay down on the stretcher. One of the men checked his vitals and was trying to take away what Hana left for him but he didn't let go.

"Sir...please, we need to check you fully." He tried to take it away again but he was being stubborn. He held Hana's belongings close to his hear, afraid that if he lost them, Hana will be forgotten. He doesn't want to forget her.

"Jung Kook! I am here now..." Jung Kook cried louder hearing Minji's voice. He looked at her and his heart once again sank seeing her face with bruises. He reached out for her hand.

"Ma'am...you need to go back on your stretcher. We need to check if you're having internal bleeding. One of the nurses tried to carry her back but she protested.

"No..please let me stay with him." She held his hand and careesed it onto her face. "Let me stay with my husband." Jung Kook doesn't know how to feel at that moment of truth. There she is, his wife, the woman he swore that he will hate the most  but at the same time he is seeing the woman he loves the most. Minji just held his hand and Jung Kook interlocked it with his.

"You're...my wife." His voice cracked. Tears streamed down their faces.

"I am, Jung Kook. I am."  Jung Kook tried to insert the wedding ring back into her finger but every movement has become tiring for him. He closed his eyes, wishing he can turn back time.

****

Jung Kook's back ached when he woke up. He felt sore. He looked around and saw himself laying in a hospital bed while Minji's head was ducked at his right. He caressed her hair and her face lifted up in no time. Tears from her eyes greeted him. She wiped them quickly and called the doctor thru the phone hanging on the wall. Then she sat beside him.

"How are you feeling?" She asked. Her voice sounded the same but hearing her talk as his wife just sounded new and different.

"B--better."He answered but looked away. He doesn't understand what he is feeling right now. The doctor, together with Alejandro, entered the room. The doctor checked his vitals then observed his leg movement.

"No concussion. Your leg was badly injured but should get better in weeks." He stopped and looked at Alejandro and the latter signaled him to continue. "We strongly recommend therapy and counselling though."

"Hana?" He asked Alejandro. There was silence inside the room.

"Hana?" He sobbed.

Alejandro took a deep breath. "We're doing everything we can to find her..." Minji held Jung Kook's hand and just like her voice, her skin against him feels unfamiliar.