Chapter Four

*Austin's POV*
*next morning*

I woke up the next morning with a start and accidentally hit Liz in the head. She opened her eyes and frowned. "What?"

I chuckled. She looked cute when she first woke up. "Sorry, I didn't mean to hit you."

She rolled over onto her back and groaned. "My eyes are swollen."

I sat up and stretched. "Hey Lizzie, you should probably sleep in your bed tonight."

"I know." She said. "I'm probably gonna spend the night at Jon's tonight."

I nodded and felt my stomach twist. "Yeah." I felt Lizzie's hand on my back. I turned and looked at her.

She looked at me with those big beautiful eyes. "Do you like Deni?"

I shrugged. "Why?"

She sat up and crawled off the bed walking to the door. "She likes you. You should ask her out." Then she left the room.

I sat there for minute. Lizzie wants me to date her twin sister. What did that mean? If she wanted to date Deni then that meant she really did see me as her brother. I groaned and got out of bed and got dressed. When I went downstairs Lizzie sat on the couch drinking coffee and flipping through the newspaper.

"Anything interesting?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No. Typical bullshit." She looked at me. "Do you want me to cook you breakfast?"

I shrugged. "Some eggs wouldn't be so bad."

She smiled and nodded. "Eggs it is."

I followed her to the kitchen and sat at the counter. "Remember when we used to make breakfast with my mom every Sunday?"

She smiled and grabbed a pan and walked to the fridge. "Yeah. She would always let me crack the eggs."

I smiled and looked down at the counter. "I miss her."

She cracked the egg and sighed. "I miss her too."

I looked at Liz and smiled. When we were 12 she would walk to my house Friday, no matter what the weather, and stay the weekend. Every Sunday her, my mom, and myself would wake up early, make breakfast and then watch movies all day. Back then I was even skinnier and dorky as ever. She had braces and her hair was a beautiful dark red. Almost like wine. One morning, my mom left the room to answer the phone and Lizzie looked at me and told me she loved me, then she kissed me. It was both of our first kisses. It was just a quick peck on the lips, but I'll never forget it.

Liz pulled me out of my thoughts by smacking my arm. "Austin?"

"What?" I said.

She smiled and put my plate in front of me. "Do you want something to drink?"

I shrugged. "Hand squeezed orange juice?" I smiled.

She smiled. "In your dreams." She turned and opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice and poured me a glass. "Here you go, Princess."

I smiled and took a bite of my breakfast. "This is good."

She started the dishes and I ate my food. After awhile she turned and looked at me kinda funny. Then she shook her head and turned back to the dishes.

I frowned. "What?" I took my empty plate over to the sink.

She took it and shook her head. "Nothing. I was just thinking about some things."

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No way." She smiled.

I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Okay. I'm going to the studio so I'll see you later."

She dried her hands on her shirt and looked at me. "You should take my car so I can take your truck." She smiled real big.

I smiled. "No I hate your car."

She pouted and stomped her foot. "Please?"

I chuckled. "No."

She glanced at the counter and smiled, then ran off and grabbed my keys off the counter and booked it towards the living room. I smiled and ran after her, catching her and grabbing her around the waist. She squealed and laughed and tried to push me away but I was stronger than her.

"Just let me take your truck!" She yelled, giggling when I tickled her sides.

"Only if you tell me what you were thinking about." I said, throwing her down on the couch and pinning her arms above her head.

She laughed harder and put a death grip on my keys. "Nope."

I got on top of her and she smiled at me. "Elizabeth."

She looked at me. "Austin."

I smiled and we looked at each other. Something passed between us. I felt it and I knew she felt it too. We looked into eachothers eyes for what seemed like years. She bit her lip and I leaned in to kiss her. Before I could something changed in her and she pushed me. "Get up." She said, sounding sort of panicky.

I got up and stepped away. She got up and threw me my keys.

I looked at her. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have..."

She shook her head and ran her fingers through her hair. "No. It's fine." She smiled at me but I knew it was fake. "It's fine."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Mhm." She said. "Go to the studio. Have fun. I'll see you tomorrow?" Then she went upstairs, taking two steps at a time.