Chapter Eight

*Austin's POV*
*Jon's barbecue*

Jon's get together wasn't what I was expecting at all. I thought it'd be friends and drinking and games. It was all Jon and Lizzie's family.

I sat on the patio couch with Lizzie and her niece Katie. Lizzie read Katie a Winnie the Pooh book. I looked up to see Liz's grandma walking towards us. I smiled and nudged Lizzie. She looked up and smiled. Lizzie's grandma always though Liz and I were together. No matter how many times we told her otherwise, she always told us how cute we were together.

"Hi, Grandma." Liz said. She put Katie in my lap and stood up and hugged Grandma.

"Hello, Elizabeth." She said, smiling. She looked at me. "When are you gonna marry my grand daughter?"

Lizzie laughed. "Grandma, I'm not with Austin." She pointed to Jon. "I'm with Jonny, remember?"

Grandma shook her head and reached out and held Lizzie's hands, looking her over. Her eyes lit up and she put her hands on Liz's belly. "You're having a baby!"

Lizzie laughed and sighed. "No, grandma. I'm just chubby."

I smiled and bounced Katie on my knee. "Grandma, did you say hi to Katie?"

She looked at Katie and smiled bigger, her attention going away from Liz and to Katie. Liz sat down next to me and waved to Mel, who was walking towards us.

"Grandma, how are you?" Mel asked, hugging her. "Come over here. Mom wants to see you."

Mel and Grandma walked away with Katie and Liz laughed. "I think my grandma just called me fat."

I smiled and shook my head. "No. I think she's losing it.".

She smiled. "Losing it? Sweetie, it's lost."

My smile faded when I saw Jon walking over to us. He smiled and grabbed Liz's hand, pulling her up. "Could you run in the house and grab more beer?"

She nodded. "Yeah." She kissed him and walked to the back door.

I stood up. "Need me to do anything?"

He shook his head and put his hand on my back, turning me away from everyone else. "I wanna show you something." He said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small black velvet box.

My heart stopped. "What's that?" I asked, knowing the answer.

Jon smiled and opened the box, showing me a diamond ring on a gold band. "Do you think she'll like it?"

I sighed and patted his back. "She's gonna love it, man." I forced a smile. "Congrats."

He smiled bigger and put the box back in his pocket, then walked away. I went over to where Lizzie's mom and Deni were standing and I put my arms around them. After a few minutes I heard Jon.

"Can I get everyone's attention please?" He said, going to the middle of where everyone was standing, Lizzie behind him looking confused.

He smiled and turned to her. "Elizabeth, you know I love you."

She smiled nervously. "I know, baby."

Jon took her hand and nodded. "8 years together, Liz. These days, that's a long time." He kissed her and got down on his knee.

Gasps rose up from the guests and Deni elbowed me in the ribcage. "Holy fuck." She whispered.

Liz's eyes grew wide and she pulled her hand away from Jon. Jon pulled that stupid box from his pocket and opened it. "I figured it was time I did this." He said, smiling. "So, Lizzie, will you marry me?"

Lizzie was frozen. She looked at Jon for what felt like forever. Jon looked uncomfortable. Finally, Liz looked away from Jon and looked at me. Her eyes were filled with tears. Then she looked back at Jon, then turned and ran into the house.

Whispers started from everyone and Deni and Olivia took off after Lizzie.

Mom looked at me. "What just happened?"

I shrugged. "I don't know." I looked back Jon and he looked confused. His brother, Dave, went over and helped him up. His parents went over to him and started talking to him. Everyone walked away and started the gossip. Mom and I went into the house and stood in the kitchen. After a few minutes Olivia and Deni came downstairs and looked at me.

"She wants you." Deni said. "She's in the guest room. Upstairs, right to your left. Across from Jon's room." She smiled.

I nodded and went upstairs. I opened the door and saw Lizzie sitting on the bed, her makeup running down her face. I shut the door and went and kneeled down in front of her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, but wouldn't look at me.

I sat on the bed next to her. "What happened?"

She shrugged and looked in the opposite direction of me. "He got down on his knee and I don't know. I tried picturing our life together and I just couldn't.." She sighed and looked at the floor. "I wanted to picture growing old with him, and I didn't." She picked at her finger nails, and I knew she that when she was nervous. "I pictured growing old with you..." She said, glancing at me.

I think my breathing actually stopped at the moment. I took a deep breath. "So, what does that mean?"

She was quiet for a moment, then laid back an covered her face with the blanket. "I'm in love with you." She mumbled.

I couldn't help but smile. I hid my smile and turned my body to face her. "Really?"

"Yes." She said, her face still covered. "I've been in love with you for so long. And I know you'll never love me back but I love you."

I pulled the blanket away from her face. "What about Jon?"

She looked at me. "I love him too. But not the same as I love you." She sighed and covered her face again. "It's different with you, Aussy."

I thought for awhile. I didn't know what to say. After awhile she pulled the blanket away. "Does he hate me?"

I shrugged. "I haven't talked to him. He didn't look upset. Just confused."

She sat up and wiped her eyes. "I should go talk to him."

"Yeah, you probably should." I should. I looked at her. "And maybe you should think about things a few days before we talk about what you just told me."

She nodded and stood up. "I'm gonna stay with Deni for a few days." She kissed the top of my head. "Thanks for talking to me." She walked away.