35

The koi farm was a dull blend of wholesale and homey, with a wire fence and a hand painted sign, hung slightly askew over the gate. Taehyung had taken it all in as he walked around to his boss's door and waited for her to change her shoes to wellies . The old truck was high off the ground and didn't have a running board, so he held his hand out to help her climb down from the vehicle.

Electricity tingled where their fingers met. As she looked up at him through her lashes, her gaze seemed full of carnal intent. It made his heart skitter, and his cheeks feel hot. He hated being such a pussy, so he forced himself to hold her gaze. He bit his lip to stop the stupid, bashful smile that threatened.

Her eyes flicked downward to his lips. She took him in with a possessive, molten stare and met his gaze with an arched brow. He didn't know exactly what she was proposing but his answer was yes.

"Thank you, Taehyung." Her gratitude seemed more about their unspoken exchange than helping her out of the truck. She let her hand linger in his before slowly drawing it away. Fuck, he never thought he might get laid wearing rubber boots.

"Let's go pick out some fish." Her easy smile was back, immediately cooling the tension between them and leaving him off balance.

A middle aged man greeted them and began to get details of what they wanted. "How big is your pond?"

"Mmm ... pretty big," Yung Mi responded.

The man smiled indulgently at her and turned to Taehyung. "It's 10,000 gallons."

She squinted at him for showing her up and he winked at her. "I got you," he mouthed.

They wandered among the tanks, looking at different sizes and colors and families of koi

They wandered among the tanks, looking at different sizes and colors and families of koi. Taehyung pointed out a fish that looked like it was made of blue and white porcelain.

"This one looks like a gold ballerina," Yung Mi cooed.

"Look at that black one with the red spot on his head." Taehyung pointed like an excited child.

"Those would be auspicious choices to begin your collection with," the fish farmer nodded and smiled.

"Why is that?" Yung Mu asked.

"The Japanese believe that a black fish embodies the chi of the father of the household. A gold fish represents the mother's energy."

Taehyung opened his mouth to set the salesman straight. Yung Mi gave him the slightest shake of her head to quiet him. He blushed, confused but pleased that his boss would be ok with someone thinking they were a couple.

Then the rational part of his brain reminded him that she was a millionaire who had millionaire friends and wasn't looking to date a gardener that was basically broke and dependent on her for everything. To women like her, he was good for one thing. Well, two things. Heavy lifting and sex. He was a fucking dumbass to forget that, just because she was nicer to him than most people.