Sakata Gintoki x Short!Reader: Out of Reach

It all started the day (F/N) joined the Yorozuya. She was just moving in, unpacking her things, when she noticed the box she needed on a shelf high above her head. Gin must have put it there, the inconsiderate ass.

She stood on her tiptoes, reaching up until her back hurt and her toes felt like they were going to fall off, but it was to no avail. The box was too high up.

"Gintoki!" she shouted. "Help please!"

"Eh?" He poked his head into the room, a finger up his nose. "What's the matter? Did you throw your back out picking up one of those huge-ass boxes of yours?"

"No!" she hissed, still straining to reach for the box. "It's this thing! It's too high up!"

He observed the situation, and a smirk came to his face.

"You can't reach that?" He huffed. "Man, you're short."

"I know that!" she snapped. "Just help me out here! Please?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

A moment later, his chest pressed against her back. Her heart fluttered, face flushing as he leaned in close, and easily plucked the box from the shelf.

Bad brain, she scolded herself. Hot guy boss, not romantic interest. Keep it together.

"Here you go," he said, handing it to her. "Just make sure to put it somewhere you can reach it next time. You interrupted my Jump-reading."

"Excuse me?" she snapped. "You're obviously the one who put it there! I can't even reach that spot!"

Gin waved a hand dismissively. "Uh-huh. Anyway, I can't spend all my valuable time getting you your stuff, so this is a one-time thing, got it?"

(F/N) rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

~o0o~

Since that day, it seemed like nothing was ever within reach.

Her books always miraculously wound up on the top shelves, where she'd have to jump and strain to get them. The pots and pans were kept in a cabinet so high, she couldn't even brush it with the tips of her fingers. She supposed this would be normal for Gin, being so much taller than her, but for (F/N), it was annoying as hell.

"Gin!" she shouted from the kitchen. "Can you please help me out here?"

"Huh?" Came a lazy voice from the living room. "Whaddya need me for?"

"Just come here!"

She heard a groan of protest, followed by slow, heavy footsteps as he trudged his way towards the kitchen. When he finally poked his head in, he found her standing with her hands on her hips, glaring up at a cabinet like it had somehow personally offended her.

"Can you get the flour down please?"

Gin sighed. "Seriously? That again?"

"You don't have to be so rude about it!"

"Well, it is your fault for being so short."

"How is it my fault that I'm short?"

"You didn't drink enough strawberry milk as a child, obviously."

"Are you kidding me?"

She rolled her eyes as he reached into the cabinet, and grabbed the flour with frustrating ease.

"Here you go."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

He left the kitchen, probably to take a nap, and (F/N) resumed her cooking, standing on her tiptoes to reach for a bowl. As much fun as it was to order him around like a grumpy maid, she did feel sort of bad making him get things for her all the time. It would also be nice if she could reach things with her own hands. If only there were some way she could make herself taller...