51. universe

CHAPTER 51: UNIVERSE

                           Thursday, July 13th 2017 - Eugene, Oregon

  "Harry?"

  "Please come to the hospital."

  "The hospital?" I ask worried and cover my mouth with my hand, "Are you hurt? Did you get into an accident?"

  "No, it's not me. I'm fine. Just come here, please." Harry says and I immediately get up, looking at my bike. It takes me about thirty minutes to the next hospital if I go by bike. Why didn't he just take me with him in the first place?

  "I'm on my way." I say and then I hang up, get on my bike and cycle to the hospital.

 In the meantime, I think of every possible things that could have happened. Is Dylan hurt? Beth? Or maybe even Jess? What if something happened to Sam? I wonder what it could be. It must be so bad that Harry couldn't leave the hospital to tell me personally or to at least tell me over the phone.

 Luckily, not many pedestrians are walking down the streets since it's already dark outside. I'm racing, so fast that my legs hurt, in hope to cut down the thirty minute ride as much possible.

 When I arrive in front of the hospital, I park my bike at one of the bicycle racks and then jog inside the building, texting Harry multiple times to find out where the hell they are. As I finally found my way to them, I see Dylan and Harry. Harry is sitting on the chairs, one of his legs crossed over the other so his ankle is resting on his knee. He put his hair in a bun which makes me recognize his frown from afar.

 Dylan, on the other hand, impatiently walks up and down the hallway in front of Harry. He can't seem to stand still. Constantly running his fingers through his hair or taps his fingers against his thighs. When I approach them, I can only see Dylan's back but Harry catches sight of me from the angle of his eye.

  "Hey." Harry speaks but doesn't get up. I don't know how I'm supposed about his rather cold greeting. His voice sounds distant and he looks tired. 

 Dylan spins around and when he sees me he tenses up, holding an expression of anger in his blue eyes as he squints them at me. 

  "What the fuck are you doing here?"

  "Me? I...Harry told me to come." I blink confusedly. When I glance at Harry, he seems just as confused as I am.

  "It's your fault she is in here!"

  "Who? Who is here? And what is my fault?" I ask.

  "Beth! Beth is in the fucking hospital, getting her stomach pumped because she overdosed!"

 "Overdosed? On what?"

  "Ecstasy!" Dylan keeps yelling at me, making me feel smaller with every angry word he throws at me. But I zone out for a second; I hear Dylan yelling at me but I'm not able to decipher a single word he is saying. 

 I don't know why I'm to blame for this. I've seen Beth multiple times since we have come back from our trip but usually we hang out in her backyard in the pool. And when we did go out to a party, we were intoxicated by alcohol. That one time where I slipped and took cocaine again, she wasn't even aware of it. I have never offered her any drugs. I have never even had any pills of molly on me. 

  "But how is that my fault?"

  "She's got herself a dealer and not just any dealer but your dealer! The one you got your coke from. She's been taking molly regularly ever since we've come back home from that damn road trip and today she went overboard." Dylan accuses me , approaching me by taking tiny steps as he threateningly points his index finger at me.