Neville Fan Theory

So I've recently come across a fan theory that Neville was there when his parents where tortured and I completely agree

And while a lot of people we saying that it was just to say that Snape could have been there and that's why Neville's afraid of him I disagree.

I do think that if Neville had been there one of three things would have happened

One: He was in the house but Alice quickly hid him moments before the deatheaters arrived for information so he could have heard their screams

Two: Neville had been in the room when it happened and the reason Neville's memory is so bad is because he was subjected to memory charms and hexes. Because what better way to torture someone for information than to harm their child while they are forced to watch. Also say Neville had been subjected to hexes they could have stunted his brain development furthering his forgetfulness.

Three: This would have probably been the most likely since Neville was only 16 months and completely useless to Bellatrix alive or dead. They probably would have just killed him which completely debunks the idea of him being there at all.

With that being said, I'm sure you're wondering

'why would Neville remember it if he was only one?'

While core memories don't really develop until 4 or 5 years old

If an event is traumatic enough to where an infant or a toddler can tell their general safety in put in danger, they are more likely to remember it. (ie: witnessing the torture of your parents)

While it's possible they won't remember the event itself they will remember the feeling of powerless and impending danger. Then when they get older events or situations similar to the one they experienced can cause flashbacks. (ie: The unforgettable curse lesson when Neville freezes up at the mention of the cruciatus curse as if he's having flashbacks or memories of his parents screaming)

So while it's never actually said that Neville was there I think he was.

As for this theory being thought of as a reason to hate on Snape, it has nothing to do with Neville's fear of Snape.

Neville's afraid of Snape because Snape is an asshole who often bullied his students and voiced his general distain for them.

And Neville's fear of Bellatrix was probably due to the fact that Augusta Longbottom without a doubt in my mind told him who was responsible for what happened to his parents at a young age. He's not afraid of her because he remember she was there, he's afraid of her because he knows what she did.

NEVILLE WAS THERE!!!!!!

Brought to you by a Child Psychology and Social Work major