Lucy Honeychurch~ One Shot

"Thank you so much, Mr.Otway," you said as he gives you the key to his rental cottage.
"You're welcome y/n. I know you'll be a worthy tenant". With that, he leaves on his carriage, and you wave as he drives down the lane. Once he's gone, you look back at your new house and take a deep breath. A house in Surrey has been your dream ever since you visited the quaint town when you were a young girl.

An hour into unpacking, you decided to take a break just when you heard a knock at the door. You opened it, and standing outside was a pretty girl around your age. She had long brown hair and brown eyes that glowed honey in the sunlight.
"Hello," she said cheerily, reaching out a hand for you to shake, "I'm Lucy Honeychurch. I'm your neighbor, I live right at Windy Corner".
"Oh, hello," you took her soft, warm hand and shook it gently, "I'm y/n. Would you like to come in?"
"Okay, thank you," you moved aside for her to step in.

"Sorry it's so messy," you explained, "I didn't finish unpacking".
"It's quite alright. I just wanted to welcome you to town," she said, looking around.
"That's so nice of you".
She shrugged. "I know that if I moved, I'd want to feel welcome".
You smiled. "Would you like some tea?"
"Oh yes, I'd love some".
"Why don't you sit down," you gestured to the couch, then went off to the kitchen to boil a pot of water.

You took a deep breath once you were alone. You had high expectations for this town, but you never expected your neighbor to be that gorgeous. You could see her from the kitchen. You watched the sunlight stream through the window and onto her face. Her curious eyes looked around the room, her hands were on her lap. Finally, the water had boiled and you quickly poured two cups of tea.

"Here you go," you said, handing the cup to her and sitting down.
"Thank you so much. I'm sure you are busy packing, I won't stay long. I just wanted to meet you," she explained.
"You can stay as long as you want," you told her with a smile.
"Mr. Otway said he found a tenant around my age. He failed to mention that you were so pretty," she added. You blushed, and she took a sip of tea.

"Where did you move from?" she asked.
"Florence, Italy".
"Really?" she exclaimed excitedly, "I just got back from there. Oh, I love it in Italy!"
"So do I, but I've always wanted to live in Surrey".
"I like the town, but I've worn out the people. They all think so likeminded, and one difference of opinion is shocking for them. Do you know what I mean?"
"Yes, I know what you mean. I always tend to think unconventional, too," you told her.

"My fiancé hates it," she said, and your face fell once you found out she was taken, "he hates a lot of things actually".
"He should consider himself lucky to be with such a strong, beautiful woman," you told her, meaning every word.
She blushed. "He likes the beautiful part, but not the fact that I actually have a mind and a soul. He doesn't realize women are more than just their looks, despite how pretty they are". Sounds a bit gay to me, you thought.

"He sounds awful," you said out loud.
"I don't love him," she admitted.
"You should leave him," you told her flatly.
"You know what I really want? I want to travel and explore and think. I want to find myself when I'm still young and have the chance to," she ranted. You could listen to her rant for hours. She was the smartest, most interesting girl you had ever talked to.
"I'd love to travel more, too," you agreed.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I came over here to meet you and I spent the entire time talking about myself," she realized.
You laughed. "It's fine," you said, putting a hand on top of hers, "you're one of the most interesting women I've ever met". She blushed, looking into your eyes intensely. You couldn't describe how badly you wanted to kiss those soft lips of hers. When the gaze got too intense, she looked away, and you self consciously took your hand off of hers.

"Uh, do you play?" she asked, gesturing to the piano in the corner of the room to alleviate the tension that had grown.
"No, I don't. Do you?"
She nodded, getting up off the couch and walking over to the piano bench. She sat down, then pat the space next to her.
"I can show you, if you'd like," she said softly.
"Okay," you agreed, sitting next to her. Putting her hands on the keyboard, she explained all the notes to you. She was kind and patient.
"Let me show you," she said, then began to play.

She played passionately, and with each note you felt more in love. You loved the way her brows furrowed in concentration as she played, something you wouldn't have noticed if you weren't so close to her. When she finished the song, she was smiling.
"That was amazing, Lucy".
"I'm sure you'll be able to do the same with some practice," she told you reassuringly.

You smiled. "I don't think so, but I love listening to you". She took your hand, placing it on top of the keyboard. With her hand, she held yours, guiding it across the keys.
"Look at you!" she exclaimed, making you laugh.
"Honestly, I'm perfectly happy to just watch you," you admitted. She smiled, and didn't take her hand off of yours.

"I can come over and play for you anytime you'd like," she said.
"That sounds great". She looked into your eyes, and it was silent for a moment before she spoke again.
"I know we've only just met, but for some reason, I feel as I can tell you anything," she began.
"You can," you told her with a nod.

"I know you said before that you have unconventional thoughts, but I don't think you have any as bad as mine".
"What are yours?"
"Promise you won't judge? Or stop liking me? Or tell me mother?" she asked.
You nodded. "Of course".
"Sometimes I think the biggest problem with my fiancé is that he's a man," she admits.

You were surprised, but your heart suddenly felt lifted.
"You don't like men in that way?" you asked, because you had to be sure.
She shook her head. "No, I don't think so. And I know it sounds crazy but..."
You cut her off. "Crazy or not, I feel the same way".
"Really? You're not just saying that to humor me?" she asked cautiously.
You laughed. "Of course not".

"I had already suspected it, but being here with you helped me realize that it's true".
"May I kiss you?" you asked hopefully, her still warm hand on top of yours.
"Why, of course, you may," she said with a giggle. She leaned close to you just as you did the same, and your lips met in perfect harmony. As her soft lips moved against yours and her hand caressed your face, you knew that moving to Surrey and meeting Lucy in a stroke of fate was the best thing that could have possibly happened.

Authors note: E.M. Forster wishes he could write a 1908 lesbian like this