Ch 28: The Beginning Of A New Normal

"Okay... Now hold here...and click that in riiiiight...there..."

"Like this?" *click*

"Uh...yes! Just a couple more. One second...let me grab this um...this...um...thingy..." Rhys's tone trailed off as he twisted around as best he could to rummage through the scattered tools on top of the table the two of you sat next to.

"Thingy..? So is that the technical name, or your personal spin on it?" You chucked to yourself. "Do you need help finding-"

Rhys let out a sigh. "Just...here just hold the arm while I look..."

Rhys stood, letting you take the weight of the arm that was currently half attached to his body. Having the difference in height, the awkward angle of a half dangling limb, and the suddenness of 'here, hold my arm' as he stood - caused your slight panicked expression and annoyed grunt to be justified.

"Um... Rhys?" -No response- "this is...heavy, and awkward. How about I find the..." You let out another slightly strained grunt, shifting your feet to a better position than the one you'd sprung up to, to catch the heavy metal appendage. Half of your body was pressed against Rhys's long legs, holding the full weight of the arm, and trying to not snap any of the fragile wires that were already connected in place to his body. Meanwhile, he was bent over the table picking through the numerous tools, spare wires, loose screws, and screwdrivers that ranged from size of a spaghetti noodle to nearly as big around as your wrist. Those weren't on the table, however. Even you knew you wouldn't be needing anything that big to work on re-attaching this arm.

He seemed to not be noticing your strains, for the most part, as he continued his determined search.

"Rhyyyyys-" You grumbled, leaning around him to visually search the tables contents.

"Hold on a sec...I'll find it. I saw it earlier. It's...a tiny little...thingy..." he mumbled back.

You exaggerated your eye roll aimed at him. "Thingy..." You mumbled to yourself.

"Ah ha! Found it!" He just about shouted as he turned back a little quicker than you'd expected. Your grip on the arm held, as did your grip on him as you nearly fell over completely at the sudden fear of dropping the arm. "Err... You alright?" He asked, looking down at you clutching the arm against his body with your other arm wrapped around his waist so that you didn't fall over your tripped up feet.

"Take. Your. Arm." You demanded, muffled, due to your face being squished into his abdomen.

You felt his ribs bounce with a chuckle as he grabbed his metal arm and took the weight from you. "Guess I'm just used to the weight." He chuckled again as you pushed yourself off of him and stood, glaring. "Oh, don't give me that look. It was funny." He smiled down at you.

"It wouldn't have been funny if I dropped the damn thing and it broke. Now would it?" You placed your hands on your hips, adding just the right amount of sass.

His smirk and raised brow continued to look amused. "Well, it's good that you didn't drop it then.

You only growled back, still glaring. "Was that your way of getting me to fall all over you?"

He blushed, sitting back down on the stool. "Uhhh, no. If I was going to try something like that, I wouldn't put my brand new arm in the middle of it."

"Ah. Well... Good." You grumbled, taking your seat again.

Rhys glanced back to you with his pesky little smirk, you narrowed your eyes in return earning another chuckle from him.