6-Unrealistically Tragic

Edward

It was now 8pm, and I was looking out Sabrina's window, sitting on the same branch as last time. I couldn't help it; I felt so infatuated by her.
I had gotten better at figuring out emotions without reading minds thanks to her. And because of that, I knew that that moment in the cafeteria when Leo Blythe had shoved a picture of a red-haired young man up to her face, claiming to be her boyfriend, that she looked upset when Jessica mentioned a twin.

I hoped dearly he wasn't her boyfriend. Whenever the thought crossed my mind, I felt a burning sensation in my stomach. I hated him. I didn't even know him; he was possibly extremely kind, but if that was what Sabrina liked him for, it made me hate him even more.
What was this girl doing to me?

I watched as Sabrina sat on her bed, wearing her Christmas pyjamas, her damp hair laying on the pillow.

She was so beautiful.

I had never felt this way before about anyone. Was she making me crazy?

I watched as she searched her backpack for something, and, once found, took it out. It was the picture from lunch, the one of the red haired boy. She looked at it for a while, maybe half a minute? I lost track of time staring at her still body.

She then got up and searched her bookshelf. Her long, thin fingers stopped at a worn, dark brown binding. She took the book out and opened it, revealing torn and used pages.

I couldn't see much, but from what I could notice, it was a photo album. She strolled over to her desk and sat down on her chair. I paid close attention as she took some glue out and pasted it onto the back of her supposed boyfriend, sticking it onto one of the old pages.

She then started flipping through the pages of her album, and stopped at one. Since her desk was facing the window, I could clearly make out what was on the picture. It seemed like a class photo, only everyone had red hair.
Did she date an army of red-haired clones or something?

She then flipped the page again, slowly this time, and stopped at a page with four children. I made out that one of the children looked like Sabrina. There was another girl and two boys, one of them being a red head.

I then heard a small sound. I looked up to Sabrina's visage, only to notice that her emerald eyes were red, tears running down her cheeks. But she was smiling. I really wished I could read her mind at that moment, because the curiosity nearly drove me to madness.

I couldn't believe how quiet she was. Did she cry often? Was practice the cause of her expertise in quiet crying? Why was she crying? Maybe her mother wasn't the only person she had lost...

Maybe her life really was unrealistically tragic.

She kept flipping through pages, her eyes still wet and pink. I wanted to comfort her and ask her what's wrong, but knew I couldn't. I shouldn't. I wouldn't.
But I wanted to. Almost as much as I wished being human.

Of course, I restrained myself. I watched as she closed her album after a while and, leaving it on her desk, went to her bed. She laid down and pulled the covers up, curling up.

After some few moments, I came inside by the window, and sat at the same spot as I did last time. Once again, she barely moved in her sleep.

I remembered when last night, she looked down at her right arm and started crying. This was the perfect opportunity to see what made her so upset. I stood up and walked over to her. I looked down at her arm and noticed a marking. A series of numerous small scars; they seemed to form a word—mudblood.

Had she carved that herself? Did someone hurt her?

I felt a newfound need to protect her. Had she really been through Hell and back? I had no idea, but I intended to find out.

I wanted to help her, to comfort her, and to assure her that everything would be fine, even though I wasn't sure myself that it would be. I wanted to provide hope, I wanted to be her light at the end of a tunnel. But I couldn't. No one like me could ever be good enough for a beautiful, fragile being like her.

Before I got too mesmerised, I sat back down and watched as her even breaths stayed calm.

Whenever I would figure out who did that to her, I would make sure to give them a piece of their own medicine. How could anyone in their right mind want to hurt Sabrina? She was a soul of knowledge, light, and resilience. And, before all, absolute selflessness.

I stayed there the whole night, watching as an occasional tear dropped down her cheek, still quieter than a mouse. Her father didn't come in tonight. Perhaps he was at work. I knew he was the chief of police, so there must've been some case which needed his assistance.

At dawn, I left her house and went to mine. I would have to make up an excuse for being away all night. Emmet would make fun of me if he knew what I was doing, and Rosalie would be angry... I didn't want to risk it, so I kept quiet and said I went hunting. Alice knew, of course, since she could see my future, but she was always on my side.

At school, I waited by my Silver Volvo for Sabrina to arrive. While I waited, I listened to numerous boys' minds; I found it amusing sometimes.

Sabrina's so pretty. I should go ask her on a date.

I wonder what music Sabrina likes.

Mike's gonna be so jealous when Sabrina goes with me to the movies!

The male thoughts were mostly revolved around Sabrina. I felt the need to crash all those boys into a nearby wall. Surely it wouldn't be fatal, would it?

What was this feeling I was so new to?

My thoughts were interrupted by someone else's.

She's here! I'll go ask her now.

I looked up from where the thought came from, and Eric Yorkie was looking at Sabrina's truck. I clenched my fists. Surely she wouldn't say yes to him? Out of all people.

I watched as Sabrina opened her door and closed it again once she was standing outside. She took her backpack and swung it on her shoulders. Without a glance at Eric, she started walking quickly away. Why was she in such a hurry? Class only started in 10 minutes. Was she meeting someone? A date perhaps? My jaw clenched at the thought. Sabrina was pretty, beautiful even, and I knew all the boys noticed that. But did they notice the pain which she was hiding? Did they notice the scars she didn't want to inflict on others?

I followed her through different people's heads, as she walked quickly, Eric following after her. Perhaps she had noticed him and didn't want to talk to him? I smiled at the thought; Eric Yorkie running after an uninterested Sabrina Jones.

She finally stopped in front of the library, and went inside. I went through all the minds in that room, and the one which had its attention on Sabrina was Leo Blythe. I scanned through his head, looking for any dishonest intentions, which I didn't find. I did, however, find a memory. Of a dream of some sort.

A tall, brunette boy stood, wearing a yellow and black shirt. He sprung along incessant pathways inside what seemed to be a maze. The sky was darkly illuminated. Next to him was a slightly shorter boy, with a red shirt and wild, black hair.
As they came closer, I realised; the tall brunette boy was me.

The vision dissipated, leaving me to my own thoughts. As I scanned through Leo's mind, I found that he wasn't aware of why he was having the visions.

Sabrina sat down, and Leo instantly remembered another dream he had. But this one was different. It was about her.
She was laying on her knees next to...my dead body? Or rather, the boy from earlier with the yellow shirt, while the shorter one was clutching onto him.
I listened intently as a vague voice spoke. No, it was screaming.
Cedric.

Questions flew in and out of my mind like tiny little bees. I couldn't get them out of my head, or else, they might sting me.

By now, I was certain.

Sabrina Jones's life really was indeed unrealistically tragic.