32-A Revelation

Edward

It was foolish of me to think I had but a smear of a chance with Sabrina, when clearly, I wasn't what she wanted. And despite my acknowledgment of this undeniable fact, I still felt an overbearing protectiveness when it came to her. At least Leo was a good person. Good, but not enough for her, although I knew she would never agree to that.

As I made my way to my seat in Biology class, I heard footsteps from the door.

Ugh. I hate biology.

I turned my head towards the mental voice, only to be faced with an underwhelming Jessica Stanley rambling on about Mike to Angela—a soul too patient for her own good.

I turned to Leo, walking with Sabrina, but heard nothing. I furrowed my brows and tried again. Harder, this time. But nothing came of it. I stared at him more ardently, but still, not a single whisper came out of his mind. I turned my head back to the front of the classroom, my mind swirling with questions. Had Sabrina cast a protection spell on him? Had she told him everything without my knowing? Did he know of her true nature?

I spent the entirety of class time trying to figure out a theory on how on Earth Leo's mind suddenly ceased to show itself to me, but only senseless ones came to mind.

Sabrina sat down next to me, and suddenly, her mouthwatering scent hit me. I allowed myself the unjust luxury of breathing in, sensing her delicious fragrance.

I gazed over at her. I had planned to quickly look away, but that idea seemed to sink below the Titanic. I couldn't ignore her angelic existence anymore. She was such a beautiful, kind soul... I could not remove her from my mind. I was too selfish for that.

"Hello," I said, smiling subconsciously at the sight of her.

For a second, she just furrowed her eyebrows, as though making sure what she'd heard me say was real. Then, she turned to me, and her lustrous irises met mine for the first time in far too long. She looked away as soon as she saw me staring back, and muttered a:
"Hello."

Even the incredibly short meeting of two souls through our eyes felt like blissful heaven. It felt euphoric to have her acknowledge my presence, despite it being in a nonchalant way.

"How are things between you and your beau?" I asked, just to hear her sumptuous voice speak again.

Then, all of her blood rushed to her face, tainting it pink with flush, as I'd known they would.

"Leo's alright," she answered quietly.

She wasn't smiling. Usually, when she simply thought of Leo, she would smile. I wanted to ask more on the subject, but I decided against it. But all throughout class, I wondered if Leo was treating Sabrina wrongfully. If he was, I was ready to protect her at all costs. And a measly human couldn't stand a smither of a chance against me. For once, I felt gratitude for my monstrous nature.

In the cafeteria, I tried to enter Leo's mind again. Nothing.

What's got you so annoyed?

Jasper. I turned to my statue of a brother and discreetly turned my head towards Sabrina's table.

Are you jealous of Leo?

I simply rolled my eyes in response. I was, indeed, jealous of Leo Blythe. I wished with all my might that I had been blessed with the luck of being born in his body, but wishing is for children. I was too old for that.

What's going on?

Emmet must have noticed my subtle movements, and so I explained everything to them through gestures. As vampires, we often communicated like this, especially when we wanted to go unnoticed by humans. The speed of our movements would go unnoticed in their eyes.

I followed Sabrina wherever she went, using others' minds. I couldn't help it. Despite her absolute disinterest in me, I could not fight my undeniable and forceful interest in her.

   When the final bell of the day rung, I told my siblings to go on home without me. They knew what was keeping me.

   I had stopped following Sabrina and Leo for a while, because watching their affectionate intentions towards each other made me feel cruel, harsh pain. But now that I had raised suspicions against Leo, I had decided, for Sabrina's own protection rather than my own selfishness this time, to follow the couple, in case Sabrina needed my help.

   Sabrina invited Leo into her home and set about making some tea. The sky outside was dark, and the moon was starting to shine beneath the clouds.

"Sabrina," Leo said after a moment of silence.

"Mm?" responded she, handing him a warm cup.

"Have you noticed anything... strange about Edward Cullen?"

Sabrina glanced at her bow as she sat down, and took a short sip of her warm beverage.

"Strange? Well, I've told you what I know," Sabrina said hesitantly.

"Yes, but," Leo paused. "Don't you ever feel like you've seen him before?"

Ah. Leo was finally going to tell Sabrina about his visions.
Sabrina suddenly froze, staring down at the ground.

"What do you mean?" she asked after a short pause.

"Whenever I see him, I feel like I knew him before... But I can't place my finger on it."

"Wait, wait... Leo: what do you mean? Do you... Do you get visions?"

"Yes! I get random visions from seemingly his past. He looks younger and a little more... normal."

Sabrina's eyes widened as she paused to think. I could hear her heart beating loudly.

"Do you remember what you see in those visions?"

"Well, I've gotten many. Some included you."

Sabrina looked up at Leo with a shocked expression.
"Me?" she asked.

"You. You looked younger, though. Maybe fifteen? I saw one where you were wearing a dress and were dancing around with him, and one where he was lying on the floor next to a trophy, and one where-"

Sabrina looked up at him.
"Where what?"

Leo took a moment to answer.
"One where... Where you were getting your arm hurt."

Sabrina didn't say anything. She stared down at her right arm and pulled up her sleeve.
"You mean this?"

Leo looked down at her arm, and flinched, as though he were remembering a painful memory.
"Yes... I mean that," he looked up at her. "You know... I'm really sorry about your scar."

Sabrina just looked at him with confusion.
"Were the visions clear?"

"Pretty much. I could make out people's faces, and some of their words."

"What did you see in the last one...?"

"The one with your..." Leo pointed to her arm, and received Sabrina's small nod as a yes. "Well, there was this wild woman with savage-looking hair... And she was... doing that to you. Only, she was using a wand. Like, a magic wand."

Sabrina just stared at the floor, wide-eyed.

"And there was someone else. A girl. Lying on the floor, behind you," Leo uttered. And even without my clear pathway into his thoughts, I could tell that ushering that particular sentence seemed to fill him with remorse.

Leo looked at Sabrina, only to notice that her eyes were teary. She swallowed, and slowly looked up at him. She opened her mouth, and just as a word was about to fly out, a deafening crash was heard from a few streets away, followed by a piercing scream.