30-Stoic

Sabrina

   I spent the past evening haunted by the terrifying memory of it.
For what I had seen in the sky on that faithful eve was unmistakable. It was the mark.
Just as things were going well, Voldemort had found a way to sliver himself into my life. Again.
I was frustrated, but the dominating emotion within me was fear.
At every abnormality, I clenched my jaw. At every sound, I listened closely. At every movement, I observed closer than I ever had before, desperately searching for a clue to indicate the culprit.
But nothing ever came from my obsessive scrutinisation. I was unable to discover the producer of this symbol of terror. Not even a suspect had come to mind.
I arrived at school, and seeing everyone else keep acting normally reminded me, yet again, that I was set apart.
I started my journey to the library, as it had been made routine for Leo and I to meet there every morning. Contrary to my usual expression at that time of day, I wasn't smiling. All I could think about was Voldemort returning. I could see it clearly. The streets of Forks were empty and quiet. An overwhelming stench of decay and flesh was present in the barely breathable air. Then, a tall, slithering shadow emerged and stood before the street, and only then did I notice the numerous carcasses lying dead on the cold cobblestone path. Amongst these unrecognisable complexions, only one stood out.
It wasn't Leo, nor was it Edward. No, it was a face much more familiar to me. A face I'd seen countless times prior.
There, on the cold, solid ground, lay none other than my own corpse, lifeless and damaged. Two empty irises stared back at me, as I watched in horror, unable to move.
"Sabrina?" a familiar voice called, yet to who it belonged to, I could not yet say.
Suddenly, I was back at my school, standing still in a crowded school hallway.
It took me a few seconds to respond.
"Y-yes?" I said, blinking back the salty tears I felt welling up in my eyes.
"Are you alright?"
Only then did I realise who it was talking to me. I looked up at his pale complexion, wondering why on Earth Edward Cullen would be talking to me.
"Yes, yes... Why do you ask?" I vaguely answered.
"Nothing, it's just," he leaned down to face me, "I was just wondering what got you so deep in a daze in such a vulgar place."
"Oh, I was just," I paused, "thinking."
"Mm," he answered, raising his dark eyebrows. "Thinking. About what?"
"I-I don't really remember. Sorry."
He straightened back up and raised his chin, so that he was looking down at me from above. He was probably using some psychology trick to make me believe I was inferior to him. I clenched my jaw at the thought. If only he knew who I really was; I doubted he'd still be smirking down at me then.
Thankfully, the ringing of the school bell sounded at that exact moment. I immediately turned away from Cullen and made my way towards my English class.
As soon as I walked in, Leo looked up at me. I couldn't help but smile at him, despite the thousands of anxious thoughts in my head. As I walked past his desk, he asked me why I hadn't come to the library, and I thought for a moment I heard a hint of annoyance in his tone.
"Sorry. Edward came up to me in the hallway. He wouldn't leave me alone."
Leo sharply looked up at me, intrigued.
"Edward? Edward Cullen? You saw Edward Cullen in the hallway?"
"Er... Yeah," I said, confused.
"What was he like?" He immediately asked.
"You've met him already, Leo," I answered, chuckling quietly.
He was about to say something—a reproach, it seemed—but stopped himself. I wondered what was wrong with him.
Later, at lunchtime, Leo and I sat at our usual spots, along with Jessica, who was arguing with Mike. Eric was speaking to Angela, so Leo and I were the only ones uninvolved in conversation.
I looked over at him, only to find him staring at Edward Cullen less than discreetly.
"Leo? Is something wrong?" I asked.
Leo didn't answer.
"Leo?"
Something seemed to click in his brain, and he abruptly turned to face me.
"Yes?" he asked sharply.
"Is everything alright...?" I hesitantly asked, worried.
   "Of course it is. Why wouldn't I be alright?" he answered stoically. By his tone, I judged it best not to answer him.
That night, I wondered what had gotten into Leo. He had completely changed overnight. I wondered if he was cross with me. But why would he be? And besides, Leo would tell me if he was. Or so I hoped.
   That night, my head was filled with raging questions, all fighting for an answer: an answer they would only get when it was too late.