36-Trust

Edward

  It was euphoric. To have her there, with me. As the other boys' thoughts ran in irregular, hateful circles, wondering why she didn't speak to them.

She had chosen me.

Though she did not dare glance at me, feeling her warmth next to me was enough. For now, at least. As we grew closer, I felt that my patience was growing thinner and rarer. Sometimes, I just wanted to grab her face and make her look at me. I always chased the thoughts away before I could obey them.

The only problem was her scent. I had realised that the drastic apparition of this flowery smell was due to the fact that she had stopped using full mind-protecting spells. Those were what had hidden her scent; hidden her nature. Now that she was more trusting, she revealed herself almost fully (as alas, I could not read her mind at all) to me. It was both heavenly and torturous. Being near her was wonderful, but resisting her scent was maddening. Especially on rainy days, her skin mixed in with the humidity of the clouds made it incredibly difficult for me to maintain my self-control.

   "Shall we meet at the forest again?" she brought me out of my thoughts.
   "Oh, alright."
   "I mean—If you prefer, we could meet at my house," she hesitantly added, but I would not let that opportunity slide.
   "That would be nice," I grinned, and she smiled shyly.

The moon's light was starting to shine down onto the Earth, contrasting with the darkening sky.
I walked in through the door and observed the kitchen I had seen so many times prior—only this time, I was actually standing in it.

We sat down on the sofa in silence.
   "I'm worried about Leo," she said solemnly, which somehow did not please me very much.

   "Why?" I asked incredulously.

   "He hasn't been acting like himself. I think something must've happened for him to act like he did towards me."

   "Like what?"

   "Well... You brought to my attention the fact that he abruptly started acting strangely one day. It wasn't a gradual thing."

"What are you implying?" I asked, wishing her mind would let itself be read.

"I've told you about... the snake," Sabrina's tone hushed.

"You mean... the man you cannot name?"

"Him, yes."

"What about him?" I swallowed.

"The thing is...," Sabrina looked around, twitching. "I saw... his mark. The night before Leo changed. I saw the skull in the sky. During the thunderstorm. And now I know it wasn't a coincidence."

"You mean... that monster has magically switched Leo around?"

"That is exactly what I am saying." Her breathing accelerated.

"But—can he do that?"

"Oh, yes. In more ways than one. He could have used a controlling curse, or even tortured him to the point that Leo could not refuse. But there is no way Leo changed like this by himself."

"So, you're saying... Leo is now a Death Eater?" I asked, referring to the snake's followers.

"He might be, now, for all we know. He wasn't at school today. He might be a spy," she paused, looking down. "But that's not all."

"Oh?"

"The Death Eaters seem to have tracked me down for the purpose of... Well, finding you."

"Me? Why would they want me? I'm not even a wizard."

"Yes, but—," she sighed. "Remember when Bellatrix attacked you?"

"Of course. But wasn't she simply trying to get me out of the way?"
"She was trying to kill you, yes."

The silence was loud in the room.

"I don't know what exactly she was told... But the Death Eaters seem to think that you..." she paused.
I only waited on the edge of my seat.

"That I what?" my patience finally broke.

"That you're Cedric Diggory," she quickly enunciated.

"You mean, the wizard?"
"Precisely."

"But—but you told me he died. Years ago," I searched for answers.

"He did. I saw his corpse. I remember it."
"But then..."

"He killed Cedric. Harry was in there with them, and he saw, with his own eyes, Cedric being struck dead by the snake's servant, Peter Pettigrew. The snake saw Cedric die. He was dead! He couldn't have survived! I saw him! And now Bellatrix comes in, and I—" her voice cracked and tears welled up in her eyes. She sighed and looked down, shaking her head. Shaking the fury out.

I hesitantly brought my hands to her shoulders, and she jumped in surprise.

"Don't worry. We'll figure this out."

She nodded, biting back more tears. Her cheeks flushed from embarrassment.

"Sorry," she laughed lightly, but it wasn't a real laugh.

I didn't say anything. Instead, I brought her close to me in a painfully blissful embrace I had wanted to engage in for much longer than is healthy. She brought her arms to my sides and quietly sobbed in my chest. I remained wordless.

After a while, she pulled back from me, and I immediately missed her warmth.

"Thank you," was all she said, and as I looked into her eyes, I knew she was being sincere.

I only smiled back. I wanted to thank her for her trust.

"You don't have to do this, you know."

"Do what?" I asked, perplexed.

"You don't have to help me. It's kind, really, but... This is my mess. I dragged you into this, and—"

"I will never give up on you, Sabrina."

Her eyes widened.

"Whatever it takes. If I die helping you, then so be it. But you forget Bellatrix wants me gone. So really, I am the one at fault here. I dragged you into this mess."

"Now, really—"

"There's no point persisting. I will be with you no matter what. I will help you find whatever you need. I'll always be with you. I'll always be by your side. Unless, of course, you ask me to leave."

Her mouth opened, then closed again. It seemed I had left her speechless.

She swallowed and smiled, and for the first time, she was offering a full, real, trusting smile. A smile filled with sunshine and colours and laughter. A smile reserved for those she trusted. A smile reserved for me.

Then, her irises stared right back at mine. She didn't look away. She opened the window to her soul and our spirits met through that generous entry. Finally, she did not shy back in fear.

Her eyes watered once more, but Sabrina let the tears freely trickle, because she knew I would not judge her for it. She nodded and half-laughed, then whispered—
"Thank you."