34-Truth At Last

Edward

   Although I'd been hoping for a conversation with Sabrina for weeks, I had to admit that this wasn't quite the way my fantasies had played out.

  "I'm sorry about Mike," I uttered solemnly.

"It's alright," Sabrina responded after a moment.
"Jessica's the one who's been taking it badly. Understandably, of course."

A weighing silence fell upon us.

   "How are you and Leo?" I asked with a hint of hesitation.

   "Oh, erm," she paused to glance at her suitor, who, for once, was not staring back. In fact, he hadn't been for a few days.

   "It's fine."

I knew it wasn't. Maybe he had found out about her magical powers, or he had found interest in someone else, but he certainly did not feel the same way about her he used to.

  "That's... good."

She awkwardly smiled, and I mirrored her, although I was certain my grin was a perfected one, and not uncomfortable at all.

   "Why did you ignore me for so long?" the words flew out before I could stop them.

She looked up at me as though I'd just suggested  we go kill innocent squirrels.

   "I-I wasn't ignoring you," she defended.

   "You didn't even look in my direction."

Her cheeks flushed and her eyes slightly widened. Did she really think I hadn't noticed?

   "Well, er-when you ran off at the Halloween party, I just thought you were the type of person to flirt with anyone randomly, and I thought it'd be best to distance myself. Sorry if I miscalculated," she blurted out.

   "You didn't."

   "Sorry?"

   "You didn't miscalculate."

She looked at me with an expression of horror and confusion.

   "So you admit you flirted with me and ran away because you think it's funny to fluster girls?" she retorted, irritated.

   "No, No! I ran off because... I had an emergency. I'm sorry."

Her emerald irises stared into me, and it seemed they were peeling off the layers of my head and entering my soul and mind.

   "It's alright. Don't worry about it."

I had just told Sabrina, openly, that I had flirted with her on purpose. And Leo was standing at the other end of the room, glaring at me.

   "What were you and Cullen talking about?" he asked her once he thought I was too far away to hear.

   "Oh-nothing, he-ow!" Sabrina brought her hand to her head whilst Leo stared at her intently, not saying a word or even expressing worry. Then, all of a sudden, she lifted her hand up and sighed: the pain was over.

   "He flirted with you?" Leo stated more so than asked.

   "No. Yes. Wait, how do you know that?"

   "Nothing, just..." he paused, looking down and clenching his jaw, "Intuition."

   "Did you hear us?" Sabrina asked, incredulous.

   "As I said, it was just intuition."

Sabrina kept quiet and looked down. She groaned and held her hand up to her head again.