35-Blatant...Flirting?

Sabrina

   Edward and I had spent the entire afternoon discussing numerous diverse subjects, and yet I still felt like there was more to say. It was with disappointment that I commented on the current late hour.

   "Oh, you're right. I'll drive you home."

   "Oh, it's fine, I can walk."

   "And I can drive you."

   "Alright," I said, feeling an uncontrollable blush rush up to my cheeks.

As we walked down the trail, I decided I wouldn't stop asking him about his curious abilities.

   "You told me you drink animal blood... Can you still feel human blood? Does it smell bad?"

   "I can feel human blood. The laws of nature dictate that vampires drink it. My family are what we call vegetarians, funnily enough, so we choose to drink animal blood instead. As for the taste, it really depends. Some people's blood tastes much, much better, but none ever tastes bad."

   "Mmm... And the only person you can't hear the thoughts of is me?"

   "Yes—well, no. I can't hear Leo's thoughts either, actually, which is strange, because I used to be able to."

   "Really? When did you stop being able to read his mind?"

   "It wasn't long ago... A couple of weeks?"

   "That's around the same time when he started acting like... like someone else."

   "I hadn't thought of that. Do you think those factors might be connected?"

   "They must be..."

   A silence reigned upon us, as I contemplated theories explaining Leo's behaviour. I was trying to remember what exactly had caused his change of heart, but nothing came to mind.

   "I can also hear really well."

   "What's the quietest thing you can hear?"

   "Probably a human's heartbeat."

   "Really? So if a flustered girl's heart rate accelerates, you know?" I answered almost teasingly.

   "Mhm. And her breathing."

I thought back to that October night, when I had been blushing and breathing quickly at his words. Embarrassment flushed my cheeks as I realised that he must have known how I was feeling. Now was the time to ask him about that night.

   "I can also feel when a large amount of someone's blood rushes to a part of their body. Say, their face, if they're blushing."

I gulped, self-consciousness flooding me, as I realised how blatantly exposed I was to him. I looked up at him worriedly, as he gazed down at me with a smirk on his face.

   "Why... Why did you rush away, that night in October?" I asked, turning away and accelerating my pace, as I saw the familiar silver car in front of me. He easily kept up with me.

   "Thing is, Sabrina..." he hesitated. I quickly walked over to the car door, but, in a second, he was by my side, holding it open for me. I quietly thanked him and climbed in. Not even a second later, he was in the driver's seat beside me, shutting his own door.

   "You were saying?" I asked curiously.

He took one, long breath in, and I noticed his muscles clench, as though he were smelling the worst thing he ever had. Worried, I sniffed my locks.