37-The Light in the Darkness

Sabrina

   A sombre mood reigned upon Forks, spreading to each corner of the town. Mike's death had brought suspicion. Police officers were active. It seemed, as of now, that Edward and I were the only ones aware of Bellatrix's return. There was one thing only which kept me from falling into depression.

And it was him.

   I somehow had a sense he reciprocated my feelings. Sometimes, the way he looked at me... I wanted him to just spill all of his secrets feelings out.

But then, other times, I would carefully remind myself that I was but an insignificant human beside him. He was my superior, in strength, tact, and charm, and he would never cast a second look at me. I was torn, damaged, both physically and mentally, by my past experiences. There was nothing to be done. Nothing to hope for, except a friendship.

"Please take your seats," Mr. Banner, the biology teacher, called to us. This was the last class of the day.

Leo still hand't come back: the seat where he used to sit lingered empty.

As I approached my assigned seat, beside Edward, his fists clenched around the desk as he drew in a sharp breath. Only now did I know why he reacted like this: my scent. A strong wave of painful guilt flooded my brain. My mere existence was paining him; only I was to blame. I sighed as I sat at the desk, moving my chair to be as far from him as possible. He must have noticed, because he let out a silent chuckle.

   "Don't do that," he whispered in my direction.

"I'm only trying to help. I'm sorry about my scent." I felt his eyes on me. I didn't dare look at him.

   "Don't be," he said this as though this were the most absurd thing he'd ever heard.

"I am."

With an exasperated sigh, he effortlessly pulled my chair closer to his, as if to prove his point. In surprise, I looked up at him.

   "You're very stubborn," he uttered, his handsome eyes glinting.

Before I could answer, Mr. Banner had started speaking.

I managed to speak my response in a whisper, as the professor kept monologuing: "I'm stubborn when it comes to matters as dire as your wellbeing." I tried to ignore the way he turned to look at me, perhaps surprised at learning that his wellbeing was, in my eyes, quite an urgent matter indeed. I only settled my glance further on the the wall up front, restiting the urge to meet his gaze.

"Hm. So we'll be stubborn together," he replied, shifting slightly in his seat to be closer to me. I glanced at his hands, still clenching the desk. "See?" he continued, "Nothing to worry about. I've been doing this for months; I'm not going to lose control right now. You don't have to worry about being bitten by me."

"But that isn't what I'm worrried about, Edward. I know now how much agony I cause in you every day. I simply want to make it easier for you."

"No matter if you sit right beside me or at the far end of the classroom. Your scent will distract me anyway. So I might as well enjoy your closeness whilst I can," he explained.

I paused. Enjoy my closeness? Was he desirous of enjoying my closeness? Though my mind attempted staying logical and taking these words as amical and nothing more, my body gave way: I felt my cheeks flush pink, and it was worse that Edward could literally feel the blood moving towards them. He chuckled and I instinctively looked down at my hands in embarrassment.