Chapter 17: Cats Out of the Bag

Days rolled by and November was coming to an end. The weather got even more chilly. A light layer of snow covered the Castle and the terror posed by the Chamber of Secrets, simmered down.

"So, Christmas is round the corner," Jae said, as he, Xan and Hayley we're coming out of their last class, Transfiguration.

"It's weeks away," Xan said as matter of factly.

Hayley who was talking before suddenly got silent, she was so busy with finding the mystery potion that she forgot about Christmas. She had to give presents to Ri Jae and Xan, seeing as she was skint, she had to make something for them.

"Hayley.... Hayley!" Jae called her, jerking her out of thoughts,

"I'm not telling you what I bought for the two of you!" She said sharply,

"We didn't ask you to..." Xan said with a hint of a smirk on his face.

"Jae was telling something about sharing 'things' with friends," Xan said, rolling his eyes,

"Never heard of a tradition where we need to share stuff," Hayley replied looking genuinely puzzled, she never really knew much of traditions back in the orphanage.

"No, what I'm saying is that maybe we could share thoughts or secrets," Jae said shrugging his shoulders,

"Incase you didn't notice Choi, they remain secrets because they are not shared with others," Xan said as if it were the most obvious thing ever.

Jae gave Xan a sharp look, eyes popping out of his sockets, Xan looked as though something clicked inside his head,

"Well, Er that's what makes them special, sh-sharing things with others you can trust," Xan said pasting a smile on his face which made him look like he was asked to smile whilst drinking the pepperup potion.

"That was completely not weird," Hayley said looking suspicious,

"Anyways I'm heading to the library...bye!" She said, while Xan and Jae stood behind sharing looks.

"How -thud - could -thud- I forget -thud - Christmas!?" Hayley whisper yelled as she placed stacks of spell books on the library table. She started going through the books, rapidly speeding accross the pages to find something intriguing. She had no clue on what she was going to gift them.

Hours went by as she went through book after book, stack after stack but still hadn't found anything. Pince had to force Hayley out of the library when the library hours were over, much to Hayley's dismay. She reached the ground floor to see Xan leaning against the entrance to the basement.

"Finally! Where were you?" He asked,

"Library..." Hayley said slowly,

"You've been spending a lot of time in the library, Care to share why?" He asked,

"Nothing much... just some light reading..." She replied, desperately trying to evade him as she had not one, but two secrets to hide now.

"Yeah sure, you spend three and a half hours in the library doing light reading," Xan said, drawing quotes in the air as they entered the common room.

"I just got carried away, " Hayley replied, shrugging,

"But-",

"Look Xan, I'm sleepy, we can talk about it tomorrow, goodnight," Hayely said interrupting Xan, as she went through the spiral staircase without a glance at the boy squinting at her, suspicion written all over his face. Hayley felt bad about snapping on him, but its what she could think of to do to ward of the questions.