Chapter 5 : Ollivanders

𝙀𝙖𝙧𝙡𝙮 𝙐𝙥𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚, 𝙖𝙨 𝙄'𝙢 𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙩𝙤𝙤 𝙚𝙭𝙘𝙞𝙩𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙥𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧. 𝘼𝙣𝙮𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙚𝙣𝙟𝙤𝙮 🤙⚡

After Professor Snape came back from talking to the man, he and Hayley went to purchase the brass scales and the telescope. Now, all they had left, was to purchase the wand. Hayley looked at the shop Professor Snape pointed towards, the shop looked narrow and shabby, the door had peeling gold letters on it which read - Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC. Hayley got goosebumps, seeing how old the shop was. She recognised the name from when Professor Mcgonagall had told her about wands.

Professor Snape pushed open the door, which made the bell ring, somewhere inside the shop. Professor Snape and Hayley set down their other purchases on a swindle chair near the entrance when a gentle voice spoke,

"Good afternoon, "

Hayley looked up to see a man with grey hair and silver eyes. He looked at Professor Snape and let out a surprised gasp, "Oh Severus! What brings you here?" asked the man,

"Just here to buy a wand for the student, Mr Ollivander" Professor Snape answered curtly.

"Come up to the front young lady, I'm sure we can find your perfect companion," said Ollivander.

Hayley went near the wandmaker with hesitant steps. When she stood in front of him, a silver measuring tape on the table leapt in front of her and started measuring her from various dimensions, it reminded her of the tape she saw at Madam Malkin's.

"Which is your wandarm dear?" asked Ollivander peering at Hayley through his misty silver eyes, "Umm, I'm right-handed" Hayley replied in a low voice. 

"Don't be scared dear, I don't bite." He said, with a soft laugh. By now, the tape had finished measuring Hayley and was quietly sitting in its place. Ollivander was now flitting through the shelves and taking out boxes.

"Err Mr Ollivander, if I may, can I ask you few questions?" Hayley asked slowly to Ollivander, "Why, yes of course!" said Ollivander, turning to Hayley with a smile. 

"What are wands made of? Do they produce magic of their own?" asked Hayley, 

"Now, wands can be made with various magical substances, but the cores I rely the most on are Heartstrings of Dragons, Unicorn Hair and Phoenix feathers. Each core has its own speciality, Dragon heartstring cores produce the most powerful magic, Unicorn Hair cores produce the most consistent magic while Phoenix cores give out the greatest range of magic. The other part of the wand is the wand wood. Each wood has its own traits. It is crucial that we pair wand cores, with suitable wand woods to make a properly functioning wand. Wands are magical, but mostly they don't produce magic of their own, moreover, wands are used to streamline the magic produced by us, making it precise and detailed. Now I could go on and on about wands, but first, we need to find you one. Always remember this, it is not the wizard or the witch who chooses the wand, it's the other way around. The wand chooses its master." finished Ollivander.

He opened a box and held a wand in front of Hayley, "9¾ inches, Cedarwood, Unicorn core, a bit springy, just give it a swish," Ollivander said briskly. Hayley carefully took the wand, but before she could give it a movement, Ollivander took the wand away from her, muttering "Not the one for you". 

"Try this one 10 inches, Aspen wood, dragon heartstring core," he said. But when Hayley held the wand, it felt cold in her hands. "Not the one too," said Ollivander. Subsequently, Ollivander gave Hayley a wand made of Rowan wood and unicorn hair core, which was also futile.