Chapter 9 : The Sorting Hat

After, all the students huddled in the small chamber, Professor Mcgonagall started talking, "Welcome to Hogwarts, shortly you will all be going into the Great Hall to get sorted into your respective houses. Each house is noble and has a very rich history. The houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

While you are here at Hogwarts, your house will be like your family, all houses have respective common rooms, where you will be allowed to socialise with fellow housemates, you will all sleep in your respective house dormitories. You can either win points for your house or aid in losing them, at the end of the school year the house with the highest points will win the house cup, which I must say is a great deal of honour.

Now I would like you all to wait here silently, I will escort you all in when we are ready for you." finishing that with a stern look, the professor walked out.

Just as the she went, chatter broke in the room. Hayley was feeling too nervous to join the chats, she was fine with being sorted into any house, she just didn't want the talking hat to kick her out of Hogwarts altogether. Within 5 minutes, Professor Mcgonagall returned and asked them to form a line as she guided them into the Great Hall. Hayley adjusted her cloak's fastening and straightened her hat.

When the large doors opened, all the students gasped in surprise. The great hall was filled with floating candles, beautifully lighting the place. Hayley saw the four long house tables, from where the older students were cheering for them. But Hayley couldn't stop looking at the ceiling of the hall, which showed the night sky. "It's not the actual sky, the ceiling is enchanted," said Xanthus, who was standing behind Hayley. Hayley jerked, surprised at his voice and then replied "Oh I know, read that in Hogwarts: A History", Xanthus gave her an approving nod from behind.

The students stopped a little far away from a stool, which had a very very old looking hat on it. Professor Mcgonagall stopped beside the stool. The rip at the bottom of the hat twitched and opened into what seemed like a mouth, and then started singing.

The hat sang about how he once belonged to Godric Gryffindor and how the founder had made him into what it was today. Once the song ended, all the students and teachers applauded the hat. Hayley's eyes went from the hat to the man sitting in the middle of the teacher's Table, Albus Dumbledore, considered one of the greatest wizards of modern times, then she saw Professor Snape sitting at the far end of the table, wearing the same black robes and having the same unbothered and irked expression on his face. Her attention was grabbed back to the hat, when Professor Mcgonagall instructed them to come forward, as she calls their names.

" Alton, Ivor!" Professor Mcgonagall called out, a brawny looking boy stepped up to the stool and put the hat on, moments later the Hat shouted "GRYFFINDOR!" and the Gryffindor Table burst into cheers and applause. And this went on as students got sorted into their houses, Hayley was nervous about when they would call her name, the professor was calling other students with their last names, but she did not have one. Soon the crowd waiting to be sorted thinned, Xanthus got sorted into Slytherin while Ginny got sorted into Gryffindor. And finally, after what seemed like years, Professor McGonagall called out Hayley's name, the crowd had became less noisy now.

Hayley slipped the hat on her head with trembling hands, the hat obstructed most of her vision and then it started talking, 

"Ah! There's two of you eh? Now don't fret you're the only one who can listen to me and you can talk to me through your mind."

Hayley replied to that hat just as it told her to, "What did you mean, when you said there's two of us?", 

"You don't worry about that now, let's sort you somewhere you can give the best of yourself. Hmm, let's see... An impressive mind, lots of diligence, a whole lot of determination along with some courage... You're proving to be a difficult one to judge Hayley, tough indeed... It's been long since I've seen one like you, and you don't have a particular preference too... Peculiar. Don't worry I won't send you off Hogwarts." 

The hat kept on rambling inside Hayley's mind while she sat still, she wasn't sure how much time had passed. 

"Now I'm crossing Gryffindor off for you, not that you don't possess the courage or that you aren't brave enough, but because you have other qualities, which outweigh your chivalry and I want to find you, the perfect place, where your passion will be satiated." Said the hat. Hayley felt disappointed that she wasn't in Gryffindor, it meant that she couldn't spend more time with Hermione and Ginny, the only potential friends she had till now. 

"Disappointed, are you? Though mark my words Hayley, you will discover more of yourself elsewhere. Now I'm crossing out Hufflepuff too for you... So is it Ravenclaw or Slytherin...".

A small pit formed at the bottom of her stomach, as Hayley thought of Slytherin, Hermione's words saying that, Slytherins aren't pleasantest folks, hanged in her mind, "Worried about Slytherin are you? But I think, it might be the right place for you, your determination, ambition and passion beats your other qualities, the Slytherin house has produced many notable wizards and witches. Sometimes Hayley, putting yourself in an unfamiliar place, is how you will be able to achieve your best capabilities, Now what do you say? Are you ready to be a Slytherin?" Asked the hat. 

Hayley couldn't immediately answer the question, she didn't know a lot about herself, but somehow this hat did and she trusted her instinct that the hat may be correct and answered, "Yes, I'm willing to get sorted into Slytherin.", " Marvellous!" Said the hat, and cried out loud for everyone to hear,

"SLYTHERIN!"

Hayley received a stuttering response from the Slytherin table and slowly walked towards them. She failed to notice Ginny's disappointed face, as she almost clapped thinking Hayley might be a Gryffindor.

Hayley sat beside Xanthus at the Slytherin table. 

"You didn't really strike me as a Slytherin type," said Xanthus, to which Hayley shrugged in reply.

 In the meantime, Professor Mcgonagall had taken away the stools and hat and was seated at the staff table. Headmaster Dumbledore rose from his chair and started to speak "Welcome to our new students and welcome back to our old students to another year at Hogwarts. Now the Caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you yet again, that magic in corridors is strictly prohibited and also that the Forbidden Forest is strictly off-limits to all students. Now that its out there, I'm sure you all are waiting to be befuddled by the feast, so let's begin the dinner," Dumbledore finished with a crinkly smile.

Just as he finished, the tables began to get filled with all sorts of delicacies, Hayley had never seen before. She turned to look at the staff table once more and noticed that Professor Snape was missing. 

"Where's Professor Snape?" she asked to Xanthus, 

"Ah you must have not heard the crash," he said, 

"What crash?" Asked Hayley, slightly alarmed, 

"I don't know for sure, but people are saying Harry Potter and his friend Ron Weasley, crashed a car onto the Whomping Willow" Hayley had the look of disbelief on her face while Xanthus just shrugged and said, 

"Whatever that was, I reckon Professor Snape went to check on it", Hayley nodded at him. She was too unbothered to be curious about that as the feast in front of her begged to be eaten.

✺✺✺✺

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑪𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓🤩🥳 !!!!!!

𝑫𝒊𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑯𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒆𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝑺𝒍𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏👀?

𝑽𝒐𝒕𝒆, 𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑺𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒈𝒖𝒚𝒔🌟!!!!

𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒖𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓💫⚡!!!

EDIT: Omggggg guys! I just now saw that the book hit 300 READS!!!!! Thank You So Much Readers TT , TT ♥️💜♥️

𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆♥️,
𝘒.𝘛 𝘚𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘵