Chapter 27: Talks in U-Bends

It was business as usual at Hogwarts. Well, as normal as a place with moving staircases could be. The mandrake cure for those who were petrified was coming along the way, and there has been no new attacks, to which Gilderoy Lockhart was taking credit much to Xan's dismay.

Hermione came out if the hospital wing after several weeks. After some initial awkward eye contact between her and Hayley, she finally decided to come over and talk to her. She said that she was sorry and that it wasn't her intention to befriend Hayley, just to use her. 

Though Hayley forgave her, she couldn't help but be wary of her presence. Xan still thought she deserved having cat fur all over her, while Jae defensively raises his hands whenever Xan asks whether or not Hermione deserved it.

Hayley felt guilty, that she was feeling a teeny tiny bit good about what happened Hermione. She had to spend the major part of a month in the hospital wing trying to get rid of the whiskers.

Since Hayley, Xan and Jae already knew the better part of what had happened the night of Christmas, the other trio found no point in trying to hide that Hermione had turned into Millicent's Cat.

____________

Xan and Jae had summoned Harry's broom again, though this time they decided to meet on a weekday rather than a weekend to avoid attention. Gryffindors and Slytherins at the same place not having a fist fight was rare, not even rare it was impossible. And so they chose to meet on a wednesday evening.

Harry seemed reluctant this time and not thoroughly appalled as he was the last time. He had also stopped shouting instructions as Xan had never bothered to listen.

Hermione and Hayley awkwardly stood next to each other looking away, taking interest on the snow which duped the grounds.

Ron had an irked expression which became more prominent when, Xan let go one of his hands holding the broom to sweep his hair.

"Show off..."  he muttered under his breath.

When it was almost time to return to the castle, Hayley volunteered to fly the Nimbus. Xan pretended to wile away a tear, while Jae was giving her an enthusiastic thumbs up.

She didn't fly as high as Xan Or Jae, but she did go faster than she did the last time. The wind hitting her face seemed exhilarating. She liked being on control of the broom. It felt freeing. She could feel the confidence building in her which pushed her to try some moves. They were small twirls or dips, but it was enough to make Xan and Jae cheer as though they were seeing the Chudley Cannons play. Even Harry, Ron and Hermione seemed encouraging which shocked Hayley.

After it got too dark to fly, the groups returned back to the castle after giving each other a stiff goodbye. Though both of them would never admit that they've reached an amicable amid dysfunctional friendship.

___________

Growing up in the orphanage Hayley never knew the importance or the hype Valentine's Day had in the outside world, until the fateful day of February 14th at Hogwarts. 

It looked like a pink bomb had exploded inside of Hogwarts. Various vivid shades of the colour seemed to cover the Great Hall and the corridors, courtesy of Gilderoy Lockhart. Some of them liked the new decorations while the others did not appreciate it. Hayley noticed that Professor Mcgonagall was ready to leave the hall any second, while Professor Flitwick had his face covered in his arms. Professor Snape looked ready to shoot either himself or Lockhart ten times over in the head.

Overall the day seemed... bizzare to say the least, though Ginny's Message to Harry had spread like wildfire all over the student body, Malfoy wouldn't stop talking about it in the common room.