𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

30th August 1981, London.

It was half-past midnight and the O'Connell Street was enveloped in silence. Far from the heart of the city, life had already dimmed in the locale.

Abruptly, a man appeared out of thin air, holding a small bundle protectively towards his chest.

The man's back slammed against the brick wall of the alleyway and the hood covering his face fell off, revealing his wavy shoulder-length hair and his handsome beard. The man immediately pulled back his hood, holding the bundle closer to his chest, as though shielding it from all the evil in the world.

He scanned around to make sure they were safe.

The man sighed, leaning against the wall and let out a whisper, 'This is madness...'

His mind faded back to the face of his friend, whom he considered his brother, his pleading eyes haunting him, his words echoing in his head, "You must take her, she is not safe with us! Do you think I want my child to stay away from me?! It tears me apart to do this. But this is necessary... I don't want her to face the danger we face, the risk is just too much..." 

His mind now went out to the woman, who was sobbing her heart out, at the thought of parting her newborn.

The man shifted his eyes towards the orphanage across the street, named 'Tranquil Garden'. The place did not seem like the best option but he thought this will suffice, till they come back and take her home. This place was perfect in a way as it was inconspicuous.

The man approached the orphanage with light steps and placed the newborn, ever so gently near the front door and kept a piece of parchment near her. He placed a swift kiss on the newborn and murmured,

'We will come back for you before you know it, Hayley, I promise.'

The man went to hide into the crooked gap between the buildings on the opposite and waited, staring at the sleeping baby.

Sometime later, the baby started crying, missing the warmth of her mother. The hiding man's heart clenched, at the wails of the baby. Shortly, a middle-aged lady opened the front door, taking the crying newborn in her arms and started rocking her. She looked around the area, in hopes of finding the person who left the baby.

The man hid furthermore into the gap and to his luck, the lady's eyes missed his form. He saw the lady spotting the piece of parchment he left along with Hayley. The lady started reading it and her eyes widened in astonishment. After reflecting on her thoughts, the lady smiled gently at the child in her arms and went into the orphanage, taking the piece of parchment.

The eyes of the man, watching them from afar threatened to spill a tear or two, he pulled a deep breath, trying to control his emotions. He swallowed the lump forming in his throat and disappeared the same way he came, his long cloak swishing behind him.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙