Chapter 1

“Aww mina ngeshelwa wutsotsi wathi uyangithanda kanti udlala ngami utsotsi wendawo.” I sing as I rinse my laundry in the river.

I love doing laundry in the river. It gives me that sense of belonging and some pride. My mother always ask why I don’t wash using the water in the tank. Well apart from the sense of belonging, this time also gives me the opportunity to catch up with my friends and talk about everything, including suitors.

“I just love your voice chomi. I wish I can just hear you sing every time. One day I wish to be Ursula and just steal it.” Velisani Jiki who is my friend says. I just laugh. She also has a beautiful voice but she is obsessed with my voice.

I am the first person who befriended her when she moved to our village. People thought she and her family were weird. Xhosa people moving to a Zulu dominated village seemed weird to almost everyone except to my family and I. I taught her most rules on how to survive village life. Her father lost his job and was evicted from where they were staying. Luckily her mother had bought a plot of land in our village. So she built a 5 roomed house and they moved in. they have been staying here for close to 6 years now. Well her father recovered from the financial loss and started a farm business. He sells livestock. Her mother is a sister at the local clinic. She works together with my mom who is a doctor there.

“Here comes your man.” Veli says while loading her laundry in the basket. I look behind us and I sigh when I see Nkululeko. He is the son of induna. His brothers think they are entitled to all the maidens in our village. He is the normal one. Meaning he is a bit humble and isn’t ruled by toxic masculinity like his brothers. He has been asking me out for a long time but I always reject him. He doesn’t give up though.

“Sanibonani makhosazane.” He greets respectfully. He is a young handsome looking man who is any maiden’s ideal future husband but unfortunately that doesn’t include me.

“Molo Nkululeko.” Veli greets back. One of the many things I admire about my friend is that she isn’t afraid to stand out and be different. She isn’t ashamed of her culture, her language or her background. She has never, not for once, tried to change her accent or spoke the Zulu language. She has stayed true to herself and her culture.

“Uyaphila MaShenge?” he asks looking at me. I just nod and load the clothes in the basket. “Let me carry that for you.” he offers. I just collect the items I was using to wash the laundry and load them in the small bucket. He takes the basket.

“See you during the day my friend.” Veli says and then walks away with her basket.
“Did I do something to offend you? Ever since I arrived here you haven’t said anything? Am I that annoying?” he asks and I huff.

“You are not annoying Nkululeko. I just don’t understand why you keep coming back when I have told you numerous times that I don’t want a relationship with you. Don’t you get the picture?” I start walking and he follows me.

“Well my father once said ‘you don’t give up on something on someone you love.’ so this is me not giving up on my love for you and on you.” I roll my eyes. It’s been a year with him singing this ‘don’t give up’ song. It is irritating really. It’s just that I don’t have the guts to tell him off like that. I am not one who enjoys breaking other people’s feelings and hearts. He walks me home and we both aren’t saying anything. I enjoy silence at times so this is good. We arrive at my home and he places the basket down. “I will see you soon Nkosazane.” He hugs me and then walks away.

“You guys have elevated to hugs. Mmm. Shall MaNene expect cows soon?” my nosy sister Nkanyezi asks as she appears from the backyard.
“Stop being nosy and come help me carry this basket in.” she comes and we carry it to the backyard. She goes inside the house and comes back with pegs. We start hanging the laundry.

“So what did you guys talk about today?” she is never going to let this slide. Is there any place where one can ship off nosy siblings? “Don’t ignore me sis. I wanna know. You know everyone will start thinking you guys are dating because of that hug, so it’s better if you tell me what really went down so that I can defend you while knowing all the facts.”

“You are just looking for gossip where there isn’t any Nyezi. But if you must know, there will never be anything between me and Nkululeko. He is not my type. Sure he seems nice but I don’t like him. No amount of courting can make me change my mind.” She pouts and folds her arms. For a sixteen year old, she can be very childish. “And let’s stop talking about this. You are too young for me to be discussing love related issues with you.”

“You are being unfair right now. I am old enough to know what being in a relationship means.”
“Let’s talk about something else. Did you give mom my list and the money?” she nods.
“Yeah. I also gave her extra so that she can buy electricity and meat.” I nod. When we are done hanging the laundry, we head inside the house. I bath and then prepare for the day ahead.

Life in the rural areas isn’t as terrible as people make it out to be. I am one of those few young people who still love staying in the village and don’t dream of moving to the city. Who don’t see the village as a setback in life or a downfall. We own a small business where we do beading, crocheting, hair braiding and baking. It is not something huge but it brings food to the table and helps us maintain our lives. We sell our products at the market. Sometimes we go sell them in Johannesburg and Durban every once in a while. Many people always ask me why we don’t relocate to the big cities because our products sell more there but we just dismiss them by saying we love it here. We truly do, I don’t see myself living elsewhere besides here.

“Before I forget, sis Zamile ordered 30 grass mats. She is getting married in a month. So she needs 30 grass mats. She said she will come later on to pay the deposit, which is 80% and then she will pay the remaining when we give her the mats.” Nyezi says as she is cleaning up. I am cooking supper. We always cook early because we get really busy during the day.

“Okay. That’s good business. Aren’t you supposed to be attending?”
“Our math teacher is sick, so we are not attending.” I nod. She is doing grade 11.

I am 21 years old. I finished grade 12 and decided to just stay at the village and continue with what I was already doing before I even finished school. Which is beading, crocheting, hair braiding, grass weaving and all other skills. I teach other females who are keen on joining our small business and I am also a virgin who attends umhlanga. I am my mother’s pride and joy. She even did umemulo for me a few months back which my father and some of my brothers attended but they are a non-factor in my life. I am not the obedient ‘I told you so’ type of girl but I respect my mother and people who deserve my respect.

“I heard Nomzamo and her friends is going to Jo’burg next week.” I roll my eyes.
“I don’t care about what she does. She is not my friend, so what she does isn’t any of my concern.” I respond.
“You are boring. Let me quickly finish up here so that I can go gossip with my friends.”

“You should be using that time to practice math. The fact that your teacher isn’t present doesn’t mean you should neglect your studies.”
“But sisi…”
“Are we having a discussion right now?”

“No.” I am very close with my sister. In fact I can even call her my best friend. But sometimes you gotta remind kids that you are an adult and not their mate. We finish hanging the clothes and she drags her feet inside the house.

“What did ma say about a lady who drags her feet?” she turns to roll her eyes at me and rush inside the house. Kids.
.
.
.
#Isigodi
#MinenhleNkosiTheAuthor