CHAPTER 11

Roxy won my grandma’s heart within a matter of seconds. She just gave her a nice fluffy throw which made grandma so happy. She also gave my mother a custom made scarve which made her smile so much. They even gave her leftovers. Mom even had the audacity to invite her in Zithulele’s engagement party. I don’t think you can just invite people. There is a guest list for a reason and I am sure Zithulele’s fiancé won’t like unannounced plus ones but rural families are always known to come in high numbers in every event, so his fiancé will deal. I am a bit worried about Veli though who seems really taken by the Buthelezi charm.

Anyways I owe Roxy a stroll around town, so in the morning, I get up and prepare bathing water while cleaning around. When I am done, I take a bath and then get dressed in teal contrast lace cami top with black stretchy pencil skirt and black sandals. I pack my things in my handbag and when I hear a hoot, I lock the house and head outside. I climb inside her car and we exchange greetings.

“Babe do you have a man in town because you looking superfly right now.” Roxy asks as soon as we join the main road. I just laugh and look outside.

“Ro you have to understand. I am as single as they come. I have a presidential suite in the ‘know your worth’ hotel.” She laughs so hard.

“But I heard it gets lonely there. Very lonely. Sometimes you just want to lay your head in a hard chest and just relax your body. Sometimes you just wanna be with that somebody who makes you feel good about yourself. But ke…” she shrugs and I chuckle.

We talk about a lot of things and I show her some places which are near the road. I point at I Mona and she drives inside. She parks her car and we climb out. She is so interested in everything in here. She laughs when she hears about the different types of umuthi that are sold here, even izulu lika R10 nomuthi womshado. We buy a few fruits and then we continue with our journey.

When we get to town, we do some strolling and she buys a few things for herself. She also buys stuff for me. We then drive to Rockafella where we order braaied meat and chill while waiting for the meat. I go and buy us some drinks. Luckily she likes Bernini, so I just buy a 12 pack and then go back to our table.

“This is a really cool place. I can just picture it on a weekend and its vibe.” Roxy says opening her bottle and taking a sip. I follow suit.

“Well the vibe is always there. We usually steal mom’s car at least once a month and go there especially if there is going to be a big event.”

“You have never been caught?” she asks laughing and I also laugh.

“By my parents, no. But my brothers have caught us so many times and most of those times they have forced us to sit with them so that we won’t be approached by boys. Drama I tell you.” I say rolling my eyes and she giggles.

“Sounds exactly like my brothers even though most of them are younger than me but you would swear they are older because of their heights and their broad voices. One who is not dramatic is my almost twin and I think it’s because he is gay.” I chuckle. Our meat is brought to our table. “Let me take a few snaps and post on my Instagram story. I have come to realize that the network here in town works overtime.” I chuckle. When she is using Cell C and that network doesn’t work in most rural places.

“You better switch to MTN or Vodacom so that you won’t have any connection problems.” She nods. We start eating our met which is very delicious. While eating, a very nosey person joins us with a bucket full of Heineken and ice. It’s my brother Ayabongwa who is the 5th child and the third child of the first wife.