CHAPTER 19

Getting to Jozi, we are driven to Rooderport. We are amazed by the house Skaqa, the driver, drives into. This is not what I was expecting, not that I expected rondavels or what, but definitely not this. It’s a big double story house with a long driveway and even a fountain in the middle. If I didn’t know better, I would say he has a city side chick because there is no way he would’ve bought a house like this. It just spells ‘rich housewife of Johannesburg’. The car comes to a halt at the end of the driveway and we climb off.

“Welcome home makhosazane. Anything you want, don’t be shy to ask. We are all here to cater to your needs.” Skaqa says as he carries some of our luggage inside. Two other guys appear from the house and come to take the rest of the luggage.

We follow them inside. The house is even more beautiful inside. It carries class and elegance. Skaqa gives us a tour, he seems to be well acquainted with the house. He leaves us to pick our rooms and tells us to meet him downstairs when we are done getting settled. I take one of the biggest rooms. It’s decorated in grey and red. It seems like a guy’s room. I place my bags on the bed and look at the picture on the picture frame. I smile when I see that it’s a selfies of Zithulele, Nyezi, Sethulo and I. I don’t know whose room this belongs to, but it’s officially mine.

I check out the bathroom, closet and even the balcony. The view of the city from the balcony is so beautiful. I go take a quick shower and get dressed in a short summer dress and sleepers. I take my bags and put them in the closet. I will sort them out later. I head to the lounge and find almost everyone there except for Sisanda. Well she is very slow in nature, except when she is working. She comes down after a few minutes wearing a t-shirt dress and sleepers. She sits down near me and lays her head on my shoulder. We are all tired. Sitting a whole 8 hours isn’t a joke. We drove all night and only arrived here this morning.

“Ladies this is Nsezi,” he points at the guy with a few scars on his face. “And that is Gadla. They are going to be guarding you for the duration of your stay. They are the house guards, so don’t get frightened when you see them inside the house any time of the day. But worry not because they won’t go to your rooms. They are paid to protect you and not invade your privacy. And guys this is Nombuyiselo, Sisanda, Velisani, Nomthandazo and Azanda, the boss’s daughter.”

“Thank you. Now hunks can you please get us food which we will much on when we get up because I am pretty sure all of us wanna go sleep right now?” Veli says and the men chuckle.

“Worry not Miss Jiki. You will find anything you want waiting for you when you wake up. Except for groceries. You are going to do that yourselves.” Skaqa responds.

We found out that he is a really cool guy and he is funny when he wants to. Well he tried being professional and keeping quiet for the first 30 minutes but he couldn’t resist not joining in on our conversations. We talked about anything and everything. Nomthandazo even told us that she gave her virginity to some guy who she is dating. A high school teacher. She is head over heels in love with him. I just hope he doesn’t disappoint her.

Skaqa said there is nothing she can do to keep a man who doesn’t wanna be kept. If he wants to leave, he will leave. If he wants to stay, he will stay. She mustn’t do something she doesn’t like or isn’t comfortable with just because she thinks that will keep a man. He gave us many relationship advices on the way. We even found out that he is engaged and his fiancé is from Ocilwane. He is one of Sokalisa’s drivers and he met her when Sokalisa had some meeting with some taxi bosses from Empangeni.