CHAPTER 4

“Your father called. He said he will come here tomorrow for dinner so that we can discuss Nkanyezi’s future.” Mom says as soon Nyezi finishes washing the dishes.

“Great. I will also tell him about the upcoming trip we have at school.” Nyezi says excitedly.

“You’re going to a trip? When? To where?” I ask. This is the first time I am hearing of this.

“We are going to Richards Bay for some open day thing and then we will go watch a movie at the cinema and then have late lunch at McDonalds and then come back.” She answers excitedly. “Of course the formal letters will be coming out Monday for parents.”

“This means you will come back very late.” she nods. “Your father will have to organize transport that will fetch you from school to here.” mom says and I roll my eyes.

“Or I can fetch her mom.”

“You know how I hate you driving at night around here. You may never know what you will come across.” I huff.

“Mom you are just slowly inviting dad back into our lives. We don’t need him. Like I don’t need to hear of him in everything that is done here at home.” I stand up and head to my room.

I know walking out on my mom is wrong but I just can’t stand them talking about dad. I hate the man for being a shitty father, so I don’t have to tolerate hearing about him. I mean it’s bad enough that people always say I look like him. even in town at the taxi rank, his drivers always let me ride for free because their ‘boss’ would surely kill them for making me pay. I go to the WhatsApp group of Izimbali Zomhlaba that is only for business and write that we should have a meeting to discuss Roxy’s offer and outline our own conditions for going into business with them. We all agree that tomorrow 12pm is okay since its Saturday and the kids are not going to school. A message comes in from Zithulele, my older brother and my father’s first born.

‘I am inviting you to my engagement party which will be held in Durban Pavilion Hotel in a month. I will send money for you and Nyezi to buy dresses to wear.’

There goes my brother for you. He doesn’t ask. He is always demanding just because he is the oldest. His mother is the first wife. I have no beef with my siblings and I am always there when they need me or when they invite me to their things in time. I mean this one time I even went to support my sister who is two years older than me, in her umemulo. I was even umkhaphi omkhulu. I really don’t have beef with my siblings. I only despise their father. That man. Gosh.

Zithulele is getting engaged. The Buthelezi player is finally settling down. Many of the maidens are going to be disappointed. I just hope he doesn’t turn to a younger version of his father. I send a message asking him when he paid lobola, and he responds with next week. We chat for a few minutes and then I drift into deep slumber.

--

“So we are going to tell Roxy that we are going into business with them as a group. We also don’t want them taking our clients from here.” Nombuyiselo says.

“They also need to build a centre for us. Maybe one around here and one in town so that we can operate in a good place.” Nkanyezi says and we all nod in agreement.

We talk about our many conditions and come to an agreement. We then jot everything down and call Roxy. While waiting for her, the other members of Izimbali Zomhlaba who are dancers, come and we start dancing. Ukugida kwethu always attract people, even passersby and they stop just to stare at us. Some even take videos. After we are done ukugida, I spot Roxy in the small crowd around us with a phone in her hand. She also looks like she was taking a video. She walks to where we are.

“Wow you guys. That was so beautiful. I was even tempted to join in but I was probably going to ruin the whole thing.” She says and we just laugh at her. We go sit down and share our conditions with her. “This is really good. I am going to forward everything to one of my brothers so that he can compile a contract and then send it back so that you can sign it.”

“I actually thought you were going to shut down some of the conditions.” I say and she chuckles.

“You guys are very business wise, so there is no way to rob you or try to blindside you. I am actually proud of you, considering where you come from. I am even tempted to move down here for good.” She says and we all laugh.

“I don’t think you will survive here.” Veli says.

“But you did.” I say and she rolls her eyes.

“I was young when I moved here. It was very easy to adapt.” While sitting and chatting, we hear whistles and I immediately know that it’s Nkululeko and his brothers.

“Zimbali Zomhlaba, makhosazane. Naze nabahle emini yantambama bakithi.” Mcebisi, who is a bit older that Nkululeko shouts. Good thing, they can’t enter the yard as that would be very disrespectful to my brothers and would be the start of the third world war. The Nyandeni brothers and Buthelezi brothers have always had beef since like the beginning of time. I stand up and go near the gate with the ladies following me.

“Go. You know what will happen if my brothers were to find out that you were here.” I say and look at Nkululeko. He isn’t even looking at me. I follow his eyes and find that he is directly staring at Roxy who isn’t even looking at anyone but busy typing on her phone.

“Don’t worry. We are leaving anyways. We just wanted to greet.” Vumisa, the second eldest says. “Sthandwa sami aselule izinyawo.” He says looking at Nombuyiselo. They have always been together. Just on and off because she doesn’t let him eat the cookie.

“I will see you soon guys.” She says as she goes to take her bag and heads out the gate. Together with Vumisa they walk away.

“Ngiwu Nkululeko mina nkosazane.” Nkululeko announces looking at Roxy who raises her head with a smile on her face. I really hope she is attracted to him. That would be a good way to get him off my back.

“I am Roxanne Maphumulo.” She says politely.

“Mashimane, Mgobode, Dubandlela. Waze wamuhle nkosazane. Can you please step outside the gate so that we can talk freely?” Nkululeko says. Roxy looks at me frowning.

“They are not allowed to enter the gate. Long story. You can however go and talk to him. Will see you tomorrow.” I say to her. She comes to hug me.

“Tomorrow we are going to town. You owe me a trip.” She says and I laugh.

“See you tomorrow then.”

“Be ready by 9 am.” She smiles once again and heads out. She walks away and Nkululeko follows him. The other ladies also head out and the Nyandeni brothers follow them. Only Veli and Nyezi left.

“There goes your future husband.” Veli says making me laugh. I roll my eyes.

“He was never mine. Don’t worry too much. Mine is coming.”

“Yeah right.” She also rolls her eyes and I chuckle. Nyezi and I both walk Veli home and then come back to find mom busy cooking.

“Mom what are you doing? It’s Nyezi’s turn to cook.” I say half shouting. She should be resting. She just knocked off. Mom only cooks when she is on leave or on her day off. She waves her hand dismissing me.

“I don’t mind. Besides your father is coming. I want him to eat food prepared by me.” I roll my eyes and prepare some bathing water so that I can bath before supper. Besides besigida, so I am probably stinking.

.

.

.

#Isigodi

#MinenhleNkosiTheAuthor