CHAPTER 36

“Siza is a bit nervous about coming to the village.” Roxy states as I walk her to her car. I chuckle.

“He will have to be strong friend. I never forced him to come and do things right. He is the one who wanted to act holier than though. Tell him that he has to brace himself for a few punches he is going to get from my brothers because trust me, they are coming and I learnt a lot about meddling in men’s fights. I won’t even defend him. I will stand afar watching my brothers beat him up.” she laughs.

“You are more evil than I thought.”

“And you laughing about the possibility of your brother being beaten up means you are more evil than I am.” She snorts and leans on the car. I lean next to her. “What’s up between you and Nkululeko?” she sighs.

“Do all village men talk about lobola after only a few weeks of dating?” I frown looking at her. “He started the serous talk this week and it’s not that I don’t see a future with him. I mean I love this place, I do, but I don’t belong here. My whole life is in Joburg. My apartment, job, friends and family. If I decide to move here, what will keep me busy? I love him but I am also a realist. I just don’t see myself settling here.” I nod and look ahead.

“I was born here. I have been to big cities but I prefer and will always prefer life in the rural areas. Not that I don’t like the city, but it was not built for me and not every youngster wants to move to the city for a better life. Some of us want to create a better life for ourselves and the next generation here in the rural areas. So I totally understand you. You are the city girl and I am the village girl. I have my family here, friends, loyal customers and the real Azanda. How about you sit down with Nkululeko and tell him this? Maybe he will understand and even want to move to eGoli for you.” she chuckles.

“You really think ibhinca would agree to move to the city just because of love? I don’t think so.”

“You have little faith on your man. He is open-minded and very understanding. Just talk to him. He is going to understand and get your point.” She exhales loudly and then smiles.

“You’re right. Maybe I will see you tomorrow. I don’t know if women are allowed to accompany men in these types of occasions but if not, I will just come as your friend.” We hug and then she climbs inside her car. I walk back home and find Nyezi with her bag in the couch waiting.

“Mom is not coming back here, so I suggest you pack your stuff so that you can drive us to ekhaya elikhulu.” She says and turns back her attention to the TV.

“Yes Miss Dictator.” She rolls her eyes and chuckles.

I get to my room, pack a few stuff in my bag which I put in my huge suitcase, and go take mom’s car keys and then head to the garage. I drive the car out and park outside the gate. Nyezi locks the door and gate before climbing in. I stop by Veli’s house to pick her up. I need her for some moral support this weekend. We then firstly drive to Thandanani to get some booze to get us through the weekend. Of course we are going to drink in mugs but we can’t not get drunk. We buy a 48 pack of Bernini and pack it on my suitcase. I know the suitcase might raise suspicions but nobody will be brave enough to tell me to open it.

We then drive to ekhaya elikhulu. I think all my brothers are home because all of their cars are parked inside the yard. I park the car in front of the main house’s kitchen door and we climb off. We greet the aunts at the kitchen and then head to our room. After a few moments, Lusanele and Makabongwe walk in.