Chapter 4

It had been remarkably easy for Scar to turn into a normal human being again, to be honest. And once he was returned to his base by Stress, he soon managed just that, with a mild detour of becoming different animals first. With a smile, Scar transformed from a tiger, stretching as he stepped out of Larry the snail, just as someone crashed into the lake in front of him. 

Stepping away to avoid getting splashed, Scar let out a small sound of panic. He quickly calmed down as he realised there was nothing weird about a hermit's elytra breaking. What was weird was Cub wading out of the water, his old lab coat over his pharaoh garb and a pair of all-too-familiar wings sticking from his shoulders. Scar crossed his arms. 

'Cub?'

'Hey Scar! No longer a cat?'

'What are those?' He nodded towards the wings, Cub looked back at them.

'I ended up in season 6 and had to fly out...'

'We promised each other that we wouldn't use the magic any more.'

'It was the only way I was getting out of that place, man. You have to understand that...'

'No, Cub. We made a promise to each other.'

'Scar, it's not like that! I would've died if I hadn't.' He was clearly over exaggerating, but it took Scar a moment to notice,

'Cub, what happened there?'

'Nothing!'

'As your friend, fellow vexling, mayor, and half of the ConVex, I'd rather you didn't lie, thank you very much.'

'I'll tell you everything after I've told Xisuma.'

'No, you're telling me now, Cub.'

'Scar, please, he needs to know. He's our admin!'

'Evil X is admin now, actually.'

'What?! I... definitely missed something.'

'At the meeting you somehow weren't at, Xisuma traded away his position of admin to EX, and told us that we all have magic, and that death is permanent.'

'And you haven't died yet?'

'Cub! I'm very good at surviving without dying, thank you very much! I almost won third life!'

'Almost...' The pharaoh began to inch away, rockets in hand. Scar snatched them off him. Cub grabbed them back. 

'You're not going without explaining what's going on.' Scar demanded, taking his friend's escape route again. 

'Xisuma needs to know. Scar- I'll tell you after. I promise.'

'Can I come with you?' Scar changed tact, following Cub, grabbing his hand. The pharaoh looked back at him, frowning, and drew back. Scar narrowed his eyes, letting them wander towards- quick as an adder, the vexling snatched the mask from Cub's pocket, holding it up, fury rising.

'Cub? Would you like to explain?'

'I found it, and decided to take it back with me.' Cub grabbed his mask again, and flew away before Scar could speak again. 

'Xisuma?' 

Cub glided smoothly into Xisuma's base, looking around. False was there, and EX... in a cage? The former of the two stood up, seemingly relieved. 

'Cub, you're here!'

'What happened? Why's HE in a cage?' Cub stared at EX. The evil non-hermit glared back. 

'Precautions, apparently.' False replied with a sigh. 'What are you doing here?'

'Looking for Xisuma? I need to tell him something.'