Dark is sometimes bad (Prologue)

Why is it always a dirty cell with damp walls? Just once I would like to open my eyes and see fields of flowers, sunshine, and rainbows... something other than this.

Getting sold to the scientists by her "parents" before she was eleven; who does that to their own flesh and blood? Who does that to another human being, period? After running some painful tests the scientists deemed her to be a level 1 mutant, barely. She was two steps above useless, one step above solely a "stress-reliever" for those working at the facility.

It has been seven years of pain, torture, and the shit colored walls of her cell. A stark contrast to the pristine white halls and brightly lit labs. Today was going to be another round of beatings followed by a "fun" trip to the lab where, if she is lucky, they will simply strap her to the bed and wheel her there rather than drag her by her hair, arms, or legs as they do on the bad days.

"well, good morning pet. How is our angel this morning?"

Riley scoffed at the masked man's greeting. "Shut up. We both know it isn't a good morning, that I am not your, or anyone else's pet, and that I am far from an angel. Let's just get this over with already. You and your men will continue to be two pump chump champs and then you will remember that my body is too accustomed to it's current state so you'll all take turns beating me before I am needed in the lab. Did I miss anything?" She rasped out as her lungs burned from talking more than she has in weeks.

"YOU UNGRATEFUL PIECE OF POND SCUM! YOU WILL SCREAM FOR ME TODAY!!!"

Riley wore a smug smile on her bloodied lips as her broken body was dragged to the lab and thrown at the scientist's feet. She didn't scream for him or any of his goons.

She didn't understand why the scientists insisted on turning her into a super soldier. She had almost no powers, low level empath was nothing to be proud of. The brainwashing never worked on her either, so why waste the serum? She sighed painfully as the injections began.

On her way back to her cell, once again she was being drug because, why would anyone take pity on her anyway... Her left hip began burning in an uncomfortable way. Riley's eyebrows furrowed unsure of what was causing it. Did she end up with an infected injection site? Did they even inject her there? She couldn't remember anymore. Not that it mattered, her hip slowly began to ache no differently than the rest of her body.

Little did she know, that would be her last night at the facility. Someone else felt discomfort and used their small amount of pull to have her out of the facility by morning.

She found herself on the side of a small hiking trail in the morning, next to a field of flowers and the bright sun shining down on her. "What the fu-"

"Excuse me miss, are you alright?"