Chapter 8

Space!

I need some space after being in the presence of a witch. The witch's aura is muddling my thoughts, I conclude not at all ready to believe that this woman-child is making my sluggish heart, beat.

It's probably indigestion.

Rolling my eyes inwardly at my pathetic thoughts, I walk towards Sierra who's busy keeping some of the bowls in the refrigerator. The witch child has gone to her room. Fenris is itching to get me out of the house so that he can spend time with his mate but I don't want to go yet.

"What do you think of her?" I ask Sierra knowing that this girl cannot stop voicing her thoughts. I want to get a feel of her thoughts on this witch girl because something about her troubles me.

The witch makes my heart, beat. She makes my blood rush through my veins. I feel like tasting her blood especially when she's blushing. She's clueless about her beauty. She's so aloof and like a scared kitten yet there's a fierceness in her.

She is fierce. That much was clear when she fired Xanthos with her fire. She loved every moment of it. She's a hellcat and I want to taste her blood.

It's insane and I am going crazy, perhaps.

"Who, Nikita?" asks Sierra pushing me to think of her story about knowing everything since the time she was born.

Is it true that witches can remember everything?

If yes, then it must be hell to remember all those painful memories forced on her by Xavier.

She's a vassal of pain, that much I could know from her. She's scared of males and she's scared of me. The moment I touch her with the intention of anything but neutral, she'll set me on fire.

And, the Lord knows that fire and a vampire are not friends.

I hate hot things. Hmm! But not hot women.

Fingers flick around my head and then a fist comes smacking towards me, I leap out of the way and plaster myself on the nearest wall. Looking at Fenris who's now standing behind his mate, I smirk at him while he snarls at me mockingly.

"Slow, aren't you?" I laugh while Sierra rolls her eyes at us.

"You stop ogling my sister and now my mate," warns Fenris while his fangs peek through his lower lip. I smirk at him and then shrug.

"What's life without some warmth," I comment and watch as Fenris takes a step towards me, all riled up.

I so enjoy toying with this wolf pup.

"He's teasing you, Fenris. For Goddess's sake use your empath skills on him for once," chastises Sierra while pulling him back. Letting go of his anger, he takes a deep breath and then pulls his mate closer, almost engulfing her into his body.

I am quick to hide my envy, not wanting Fenris to judge me. I still yearn for my mate but more than that I yearn to avenge her. Refusing to fall prey to these weak emotions, I quickly shift my mood to business mode. I might be a second too late but Fenris is wise enough to not ask me.

"Do you think she's trustworthy?" I ask instead, to Fenris and Sierra both, tuning myself to sense the slightest of their emotions. Sierra is completely smitten by her sister-by-mating whereas Fenris goes on alert.

"She's innocent. She was tortured."

"Yes, I agree. And I also think that the torture might have made her cynical towards everyone. Me as well as you," I finally say causing Fenris to sigh. He nods and then gulps as if wanting to speak but refraining from doing so.