Chapter 50

"No, my love. No one is intentionally listening to our conversation. I know that you are alert of our surroundings. However, I do not want anyone to even accidentally hear us. We have just come over a huge war where one of our own might be a traitor."

I slightly nod, completely understanding where this is going.

Someone strong enough to implant such toxins in the werewolf royal's bloodstream would have their own strengths and power. There will be an uproar if this information leaks amongst the pack members or to any other pack.

It might even put Fenris's position as the Alpha King in jeopardy. Everything that my brother has worked for can go into the drain if this person succeeds to achieve their goal in harming or manipulating Fenris.

Is it a reason behind his erratic behavior?

And his behavior towards Sierra, too. Especially towards Sierra. As much I know, when I met Sierra and Fenris for the first time, his love for his mate, equaled to that of an ocean. However, as days passed by, his behavior started becoming little weird. Slowly, I was able to observe his distant attitude towards Sierra and then his negligence towards her. Lately, he didn't even respect her as his mate, even going so far as disrespecting her in front of me, or any close relatives.

I look at Dominic, sensing him in my mind, as he waits for me to get closer to the clue.

"You are very close, love."

His hushed statement in my mind gives me a boost and it also confirms that he has already connected a few dots more than me, being much closer to the clue than I am. I do not let that demotivate me and focus on the main link behind Fenris's attitude towards Sierra and then his lack of usual levelheadedness.

And then as if a light bulb goes off, the image of Alcina flashes in my mind.

Yes!!

She can be the one to plant such toxins in Fenris's blood. Being so close to Fenris and Sierra, they must have never suspected Alcina's ulterior motive. It is also a possibility that Alcina was innocent before, but her mate clouded her judgement.

However, I never saw that innocent side of Alcina. Maybe because the first time I had met her, she had already crossed over to the other side of magic, accepting the darker side. Maybe she had already met Wulfric then.

"That's completely correct, love. It all started the moment Alcina met Wulfric, who's her mate. She was blinded by his love and therefore, crossed over to the darker side under his influence. He manipulated her, just like he manipulated my brother's mate in jeopardizing my throne."

"What??"

Now, this is news!

It's that what's happening in Dominic's life?

And I don't even know about it. How bad does that rate me as a mate?

"We can talk about it later and I will tell you everything. Please can we focus here, now. Your brother is getting antsy with every passing moment."

I look over at Fenris and then at Cayden, who are looking at me, their confusion and fear completely visible in their gaze.

"Are you both done with this? I understand that he is your mate, but is it necessary to talk telepathically in front of me. I try very hard to tolerate that he is your mate, out of all the supernatural people out there-"

"Okay, you need to shut up," cuts in Dominic, effectively stopping Fenris from saying something that he doesn't really mean. And all of a sudden, I feel sad for my brother.