Chapter 48

Eavesdropping is not my habit but when the brother and sister are so open about discussing things in the corridor of the house, I have no other option than to listen.

Listening to Fenris being so open to his sister is a welcome change. He should be a little more dependent on his family. He's not the King of his family. He's a mate, father, brother, and a cousin first. Then he's the King.

He'll learn.

After Fenris discloses about Sierra's location and about Dragomir taking her away, I can't help but smile. The old Dragon seems to have taken in his hands to straighten out Fenris's recklessness. Well, who better than the ancient himself?

Chuckling a bit, I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the young Queen is in safe hands, I let the conversation run in the back of my mind while waiting for Dima to get up.

Having my mate for myself and having the assurance that she has accepted me, relieves me. It gives me the strength to finish off other tasks like sorting out my own mess.

For the moment, I have kept Anya and Dima in separate rooms. When they wake up, they'll be hungry again and I do not want Dima to attack Anya in her hunger.

He was dipped in black magic. I need to make sure that he's clean before he speaks with anyone else.

A growl is heard, and I immediately go on alert. Dima's growling in his sleep. It means that he's having a nightmare and that he will wake up anytime.

Just as predicted Dima jerks in his sleep and then sits up on the bed with a huge gasp, as if choking on his own voice.

"There, there, brother," I go to him, slightly alert as well as a bit concerned about him. He has never shown such fear after a nightmare. Maybe it's something recent.

"Nico!" Dima's relieved gasp tells me that he's happy to see me but also confused as he looks around the room and finds it different.

"Dima, it's alright. We are in Crimson Shadow, at Fenris's house," I whisper while patting him on his back. It's a huge feat that he's survived the torture and appearing sane minded so soon after his healing sleep.

"Woah! I am a refugee in a werewolf territory," he mutters and then massages his temples as if frustrated.

"Here, you might be hungry," I pass him a sachet of fresh blood and watch in relief when Dima drinks from it calmly, not in a frenzied manner. It gives me hope that his body has rejuvenated.

However, he has still not asked about Anya.

"Don't project your thoughts so loudly," he mutters, and I find myself smiling a bit. He heard my concern. If he's not speaking about it, it means he has something going on his mind. He'll speak about his thoughts when the time is right.

"I need to talk to Anya first and then you can interrogate her about her mother and so-called uncle," he says, shocking me a bit. He seems to have taken full responsibility of his mate's actions.

"You know, I just need to know the truth. If Anya is innocent in all this-"

"Viviana and her brother are they alive?" asks Dima, cutting off my statement. I nod in agreement, surprised at my brother acting like the King that I never was.

"Fine. It's good that they are dead. It makes speaking with Anya a little easy. I am not sure, but I think Anya was brainwashed by her mother. And you are the fucking King of Vampires, with or without mate. I will stand by you and make sure that you get all the support you need to exert your rule over the vampires. It's time to put a leash on the atrocities of the older vampires."