Chapter 40

"What nonsense!" I growl at Connor as he stands there, his arms crossed over his chest as if nothing's wrong in the world. As if he just didn't say that Nikita's been abducted.

"It is not. I'm afraid that Princess Nikita was lured into a trap by an enemy," whispers Connor while looking at me in the eye. Does he think that I lured Nikita?

"Who do you think is this enemy?" My question is direct, which makes his eyes go wide in surprise.

"Vampires live here."

"Vampires live everywhere. Come to the point, Connor," I urge, resisting rolling my eyes at him. It will be disrespectful and I don't want to insult him when he's standing in my territory, appearing all concerned but trying to hide his tension.

"Well, Princess Nikita came to Blue Moon. We brought her along with us when we went for Princess Selene's birthday. She wanted a change, so we thought it appropriate to bring her here. We came 2 days ago and yesterday night, she went missing. She hasn't returned home yet," he finishes but still appears to be holding back something.

"And you think that she's abducted?" I ask, my heart thundering inside my chest as I imagine my Nikita in some unbearable situation. Was someone waiting for her to come out into the open? Or is she simply lost? Or is she really kidnapped?

"Catrina realized a few things about Princess Nikita and that's the reason why we think that she's in danger."

"What few things?" I ask, almost choking on my own breath. What happened to her?

"Well, she might have been forced upon at some time in her captivity. She doesn't sleep, I mean, she can't sleep. She's showing signs of depression-"

"What?"

I am floored by Connor's confessions. So many things. Nikita has been going through so many things and I didn't even know. Here I am trying to find Dimitry and his mate, but my own mate is abducted?

"I know that your brother's not been found yet but Catrina insisted that I inform you about Princess Nikita's disappearance."

"She did the right thing. Let's go. I want to meet your mate," I mutter and start walking, Connor following me closely. I hop into his car, my mind in turmoil. What could be happening with Nikita, right now?

Why are all my loved ones suddenly in danger?

My mind is running a thousand miles per minute. I don't even realize when we reach Connor's territory. I don't wait for Connor to turn off the engine, simply get out of the vehicle when Connor stops it.

Not waiting for the Alpha, I barge into the house; only to stop in my tracks.

The scent!

My sense of smell is hit with a very potent scent. It's the scent of a pregnant female. Do they have more guests here?

Not wanting to startle anyone, I call out for Catrina.

A few minutes pass by while I am trying to place the familiar yet very strong feminine scent. It's familiar yet at the same time, it appears new and unique.

I am in the middle of almost recognising the scent when Catrina appears in front of me, her gaze as tensed as her entire body posture. But the thing that confuses me more, is her scent.

That potent feminine scent is coming from my own Goddaughter.

"Are you pregnant?"

I want to snatch those words the moment I utter them but Catrina's shy smile calms me a bit. She nods and then her eyes stray away from me and towards Connor.