Chapter 43

I can only breathe a sigh of relief when Nikita's unconscious body slumps in my arms. She's safe. And she avenged herself. She's won the biggest victory of her life. And yet she manages to peacefully rest in my arms, her mind completely trusting me to care for her.

And I will!

At least better than the last time.

I suspect she is sleeping so peacefully for the first time.

Holding her up, I cradle Nikita against my chest as I watch Callum holding onto Alcina's struggling form. She's weeping, her pain and hatred evident from the way she's screaming. Her gaze is fixed on my mate as she tries to fight her way out of Callum's arms.

"She killed my mate!"

I still can't connect the dots. It seems that Alcina is Nikita's tormentor's mate. It explains why she was so blinded by love for the dead man. Wulfric!

I frown at the déjà vu that the name brings me. I've heard it somewhere. I try to focus on my thoughts, hoping to track the name through my memories but Alcina's screams wash over me, making it difficult to concentrate.

I don't feel any sympathy for her. I only pity her. So blinded she is, by her love for Wulfric that she was ready to kill her own cousin. She didn't even realize that she has committed treason by helping Wulfric's evil work.

"You committed treason, sister," Callum whispers something inside her head along with those loud-spoken words.

"No!" Alcina's screams echo through the castle as Callum's palm emits a steady stream of fire, burning down Wulfric's body to ashes. I focus on the burning body, taking in the sight of the dead Wulfric before Callum methodically burns his body with a steady stream of fire.

My eyes narrow when I see something familiar but I am unable to make out anything because of the smoke that arises due to the burning flesh.

Callum then does the same to Anya's mother's body and this time Anya's quiet sobs echo behind me.

All the while Alcina's screams create havoc around us, ringing in my ears. I try my best to soothe Nikita's mind as well as Anya's mind as she seems to be in some sought of a weeping trance. Her mind is blocked, and I assume that it is because of Alcina's magic. Nikita might be able to help clear Anya's mind and hopefully, she can recall how Alcina and Wulfric plotted our downfall.

I am absolutely certain that this Wulfric had the motive to take over my crown. Was I the reason behind Nikita's abduction and torture at Wulfric's hands?

If not, then how did he know about Nikita? That too before I met her? Or did he have a grudge against Nikita's parents? But if that's the case then he would've focused his wrath on Fenris as well but he didn't seem interested in the wolf crown.

At least not to the extent that he was focused on the vampire crown. That's the main reason why he targeted Anya and her mother. Or was there another reason behind it?

"Dominic?"

My heart nearly stops beating when I hear Callum's voice. Shaking my head a bit to clear my mind, I almost groan when I feel a headache building behind my eyes. Too many questions with a missing links. I might as well go crazy with the thoughts flying inside my head.

I need to speak with Fenris and Nora. Try to find out if they know anything about this. And to reveal Alcina's betrayal to them. It's going to be difficult for sure. At least I have Callum and Nikita as witnesses to Alcina's treachery.

But till then, I have to be patient. I look down at the precious bundle in my arms. During this time, I need to make Nikita realize that she's my last chance and I wish to make the most of it. I just hope that she accepts me and my failure to protect her the first time and every time after that.